coolant sca additive.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently replaced the coolant, with the green stuff. prestone long life antifreeze. it does not say anything about sca additive on it but it does say protects aluminum and all other engine metals. so should i maybe get test strips or should i just get some additive and how much?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Be cautious of any "off the shelf" green coolants as many of them have silicate levels that are too high for SCA/DCA additives. I remember finding Peak "long life" coolant that said "phosphate and silicate free" on the package. It was green stuff back when I bought it, now I look for it in the store and it's yellow.

http://www.peakauto.com/antifreeze-peak-long_life.shtml

If it doesn't specifically say "silicate free" then I would hesitate to use it. I have Fleetguard DCA4 in my truck, and it was very specific to say on the package to use it with "silicate free coolant" or else it will glob up the tubes in the oil cooler and the radiator.

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/SB_TB03-05-2.pdf

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the coolant bottle does not specifically say for use in a "Diesel" engine then your using the wrong stuff. Two things diesels require and that is diesel rated oil and diesel rated coolant that a gasser does not need.

The best thing to do is drain it then put the right stuff in. The right stuff will already be precharged with the sca. You will need about four gallons of coolant and four gallons of distilled water.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the coolant bottle does not specifically say for use in a "Diesel" engine then your using the wrong stuff. Two things diesels require and that is diesel rated oil and diesel rated coolant that a gasser does not need.

The best thing to do is drain it then put the right stuff in. The right stuff will already be precharged with the sca. You will need about four gallons of coolant and four gallons of distilled water.

ok i will look into getting some coolant soon. you think i will be ok for a month of two? a little low on finances. and i was mixing 70-30. i figured the more concentrated the more it would help with any heavy towing? or am i wrong?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
From what I hear, a 50/50 mix is what you want....with DCA/SCA additives.

I run about a 60/40 Turbo Power HD Diesel coolant with distilled water. I add a small dose of SCA's to that about once every 6 months.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I hear, a 50/50 mix is what you want....with DCA/SCA additives.

I run about a 60/40 Turbo Power HD Diesel coolant with distilled water. I add a small dose of SCA's to that about once every 6 months.

where did you get your coolant from?

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. i may try and go there sometime soon. do you think i will be ok with the 'wrong' coolant in the truck for a few weeks atleast?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok. i may try and go there sometime soon. do you think i will be ok with the 'wrong' coolant in the truck for a few weeks atleast?

That's your call, but with that many miles/km on it your getting close to where cavitation starts. Most say 150,000 miles. You can get the Fleetgard premixed or concentrated at an IH dealer also. Takes 4 gallon concentrated and 4 gallon distilled water for 50/50 mix. If it's colder than an iceberg (0-C) where your at in BC, then a 60/40 mix for winter is OK.