Coolant out the GP hole

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to do a compression test for no start, took all the glow plugs out, found out the cheap set doesn't fit the hole after all.

Week later, I'd made myself an adapter with a grease gun whip and a 1/8 NPT to M10x1 sensor adapter. Checked voltage, turned the engine over one time to make sure all was well, got a face and underhood area full of purty green coolant from the left (D/S) bank, one of the middle cylinders.

Do I have necessarily have cavitation, or can a head gasket failure cause this problem? That is, should I even bother tearing the whole top end of the engine apart so that I can remove the D/S head and replace the gasket, or do I just start looking for a runner for an engine swap? I found a block for $300, but of course who knows what condition that's in - it's available because of a cracked head. All my local runners (NoCal) are in the multi-thousands range. I'd like to pay no more than 1500 tops for a donor, more like 1000 unless it has some other stuff I want. 6.9 would be fine. all I care about is that it's running well. I have accessories.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just about guess it's cavitation. #6 - #8 and #7 are the ones prone to cav. You could bring that cyl. up to TDC, then pressurize the coolant system, if you get coolant in the oil pan, it's a good indication of cav.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pretty sure that was going to be the answer. I thought about ripping the engine apart and said shucks, this is probably going to be a waste of time anyway

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Were you loosing any coolant before you did the plug removal. Might be a cracked head too or cavitation. Really not thinking its a bad gasket. Those usually don't leak with no pressure on them.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any coolant loss, but maybe it just started. Too bad, too. I've been using a precharged fleetguard coolant filter, changed ahead of schedule with my coolant.

So far the cheapest parts truck I've found is $1500 and it has two leaky injectors and overheats. So not a great deal. It does have a Banks though :p

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the issue of time constraints, but pulling it apart to see might not be a bad idea. Having another motor ready wouldn't be a bad idea either though haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk