Coolant observation

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may have had an "AAAaaaaaaa.....haaaaaa" just a few minutes ago.

Thanks to CDX825 who mentioned this:" Final Charge is good ELC because it lacks the 2-EHA thats in dexcool and other extended life coolants. The 2-EHA is what eats certain gaskets.

Fleet Charge is also a good coolant. Ive been running it in my truck for 3 years now and it seems to be doing fine.

Peak long life coolant is basically the same thing as final charge but without the SCAs. So if your looking for some coolant for a gasser its a good option. Especially seeing as how the green stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

Prestones long life coolant and "all makes all models" coolant is a dexclone or copy of dexcool. I can tell you from first hand experience this stuff turns to a brown soup when used in an unsealed cooling system. Id recommend to stay clear of the stuff unless your using it in something that calls for dexcool or has dexcool. "

in this thread:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?25499-Which-coolant-to-buy-all-I-see-is-ELC/page3

....I am easing my pucker factor a little bit.

I'm going to flush my system just before replacing my oil cooler o-rings. I looked in my recovery bottle and observed that "brown soup" CDX mentioned. Immediately I thought of oil cooler.... no sludge under radiator cap lid.... HUH?! No apparent water in oil.....HUH?! Head gasket weaping.... no indicators, will test for exhaust in coolant later to verify... my kit lost....can't find.

Currently there is no "Soup" in the radiator.... cuz it's sealed. Rad is a little low on water so isn't activating recovery system... so maybe why no brown in radiator. Since the recovery bottle is kind of in a "non-sealed" environment compared to the pressurized side. This could be the reason. I'm still using the coolant the PO had in it, I'm pretty sure it's the cheep stuff, another reason to change it. I'm the one who added the SCA's to it just 10k miles ago.

Just passing this along for others to critique, confirm or advise upon.

For the life of me, I can't find coolant capacity and why I was looking in the first place.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I think that certain sca's don't mix with other sca's or other additives in coolants. Certain chemicals are suspended in the chemistry they were designed with and if the wrong thing is added they "drop out".

If your not sure what's in there from the PO then just about anything might be possible.

Coolant capacity should be 29 qts.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online