coolant filter

KevSrFord

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on how y'all are running coolant filters.
This will be on my 6.9l NA.
Are you just installing it inline before the heater core or are you doing as in the picture I'm including? Kinda as its own loop within the loop. I've seen it both ways on semi trucks but wanted to see what was best on these pickups.
You must be registered for see images attach

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine in line. However I also have a ranger or explorer heater bypass installed so coolant flows through my filter year round. If the heater ever stops blowing hot air I'll know the filter needs changing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have mine in line. However I also have a ranger or explorer heater bypass installed so coolant flows through my filter year round. If the heater ever stops blowing hot air I'll know the filter needs changing.
I think this is the best way to do the install. To me, the picture in the first post looks to have a T on either side of the filter, while this would work, not all of the coolant is flowing through the heater core plus I would also want all of the coolant to flow through the filter at once too.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I got it figured out now I believe. The purpose of the bypass is to have a shutoff valve on each side of the filter to assist in changing the filter without coolant loss.
I just chatted with someone who did a whole writeup on the subject and the little bypass seems to be the way to go. While not 100% of the coolant goes through the filter enough does to serve the purpose and will do a good job keeping the system clean.
I just did a full flush and want to add this to the system to keep it clean and extend the life of my coolant.
Thanks again everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance