Coolant Filter - Fittings

analog

Reaction score
I'm going to install a coolant filter on my truck, and have the filter housing, and filter. I've been trying to find the valves and fittings needed to put it all together, and have come up empty. I've checked Home Depot, Ace hardware, and Schucks to no avail.

I want to be able to shut off both sides to make changing the filter easy and not messy. Anyone out there who has done this can tell me where I can buy this stuff at?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
home depot has what you need - i either got my stuff there or lowes...
you're going to need a few adapters, though. just take your filterhead in with you (which brand?) & expect a bit of 'trial & error'... pic attached.

obviously, i used gas valves (for hood clearance) - with no ill effects.
i could round up a parts list of what i used if really needed (who posted their list at TDS before the archiving?), but it'll surely be different from what you need unless you bought the same NAPA filterhead i did, and want to mount it in the same place/fashion.
oh - and those cast iron 90's came with the filterhead.

Attachments

• coolant filter assembly (proposed).JPG
    coolant filter assembly (proposed).JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 23

analog

Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
home depot has what you need - i either got my stuff there or lowes...
you're going to need a few adapters, though. just take your filterhead in with you (which brand?) & expect a bit of 'trial & error'... pic attached.

obviously, i used gas valves (for hood clearance) - with no ill effects.
i could round up a parts list of what i used if really needed (who posted their list at TDS before the archiving?), but it'll surely be different from what you need unless you bought the same NAPA filterhead i did, and want to mount it in the same place/fashion.
oh - and those cast iron 90's came with the filterhead.

That's the one I got.. That napa one. My heater hose is 3/4 ID.. will that work with the gray adapters that came with the unit? They appear to be for 5/8.

I went to home depot with the unit, and didn't see the stuff. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I was in the back with all the copper plumbing stuff. They had steel for gas, copper for water, and the small brass stuff for 1/4" fridge type compression, but nothing that looked like what you have. I'm gonna try lowes tomorrow. Thanks!

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
analog said:
My heater hose is 3/4 ID.. will that work with the gray adapters that came with the unit? They appear to be for 5/8.
good question & sharp eye. not sure, but i think you're right that they're for 5/8" id (perfect fit for my '92). i know my leftover SS heater hose from the '66 buick was too large, & i'm pretty sure that was 3/4".
it may still work, just with a different or additional fitting/adapter of the proper size. upon reflection, you may need to toss them & get 2 new 90's...

i scrounged up my Lowes receipt:
#31182 3/8" hex nipple 3x $1.19
#23152 3/8" gas valve ag 2x $3.86
#34875 3/8" brass pipe el 2x $2.19
receipt shows i returned one or both elbows - looking at my pic, i'm guessing i kept one of them.

good luck & good on you. "a clean fluid is a happy fluid"

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Just keep in mind when you do the install to make for sure it's plumbed in as a bypass for the heater core not inline with it. You only want a small portion of the fluid to pass through the filter, reason being is the filter head cannot flow enough coolant for you to have heat in the winter time. The internal passages of the filter head are small to say the least, they are only designed to filter a little at a time not all the fluid at once like your std oil filter.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
argve said:
Just keep in mind when you do the install to make for sure it's plumbed in as a bypass for the heater core not inline with it.
i think he means like this...

Attachments

• coolant filter.JPG
    coolant filter.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 29

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the tee'd heater hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator, you can place it in that line. There has been a discussion that due to the orfice at the inlet to the radiator, that the hose does not have enough flow, but my filter seems to be working okay.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
This is going to be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway :hail
What filter are you using on this, I saw the one setup for the coolant filter that used the fuel filter base. Is there special "Coolant Filters" or to you just use an oil filter, or a fuel filter? cookoo

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if the fuel filter base would work or not. I bought a Fleet Guard filter head (FG204163S) from Freightliner for $15.

analog

Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
This is going to be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway :hail
What filter are you using on this, I saw the one setup for the coolant filter that used the fuel filter base. Is there special "Coolant Filters" or to you just use an oil filter, or a fuel filter? cookoo

I'm using a Napa Gold filter, I believe part number 4070. It says coolant filter on it.

analog

Reaction score
Frank, thanks! Your parts list a Lowes got me what I needed. But, I didn't plan on the bypass portion, so will be going back to find the barbed T's.

The small orifices in the filter head were causing some concern. argve, thanks for bringing that up.

pafixitman

Reaction score
coolant filter

Ryan,
Use the 3/4" "PEX" barbed T from Lowes. It fits fine!

I promissed Mel I would do a write up and list for the coolant filter. Guess I better get around to it so you guys have something to refer to.