Coolant decisions? What/Where to buy

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm still kinda new to diesel engines, and have drained the radiator, and am about to drain the block before refilling with fresh coolant. I've read all the info about cavitation, SCA's, coolant types, and think I've got a hdndle on it, but still have questions.

First question, how much coolant am I looking at buying? I've read somewhere 8 gallons, is this correct?

I've read about the Final Charge coolant, which the manufacturer states you don't need any SCA's at all for this coolant. I'd sure like to give it a try, but the only place I've found it is at Wal-Mart, and it's $10/gal for 50/50 pre-mix. Seems expensive, as are all pre-mixes in my opinion.

I've read about and used the propylene-glycol coolants, mainly the low-toxic stuff, and I've never had any problems, and actually like using the stuff. Is this ok to use, and do I still need the SCA's?

Then there is the standard ethylene-glycol stuff, which I know I'd have to either purchase pre-charged, or add SCA's.

Whenever I ask someone about coolant, including the Napa people, they all look at me funny when I ask about SCA's, or diesel cavitation. Napa has a SCA additive made by BG, a respectful name brand. Where is the best place to purchase the SCA's, and if I use the propylen-glycol mix, which kind of SCA do I need? I'm having a difficult time finding any of the pre-charged coolants. I've yet to try Ford or International, but I generally try to not purchase from dealerships.

Hopefully one of the experienced here can help me out.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I bought my Fleetguard SCA's from Genosgarage.com for $4 a pint. Even after shipping it was cheaper than buying local. Dealer wanted over 8 bucks a pint and didn't have 4-packs of test strips, neither did Napa. I chose to not buy the napa variety SCA and stick with what Ford uses. Tractor Supply sells the precharged coolant, though I don't recall for how much..

Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, if you decide to mix your own coolant, use DISTILLED water to mix with. I've always used the Ford coolant additive, and regular green Zerex antifreeze.

Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it all too confusing also, so I stick with the green low-silicate stuff, and add my DCA-4 or VC-8 (Ford flavor). You need 4 gallons. Best way to flush is disconnect the heater hoses at the core and put a garden hose on the hose you took off that goes to the water pump. Let the old water come out the hose attached to the head with the engine running cold. Don't forget to flush the rad and heater core.

merdock69

Reaction score
Ok, I'm still kinda new to diesel engines, and have drained the radiator, and am about to drain the block before refilling with fresh coolant. I've read all the info about cavitation, SCA's, coolant types, and think I've got a hdndle on it, but still have questions.

First question, how much coolant am I looking at buying? I've read somewhere 8 gallons, is this correct?

I've read about the Final Charge coolant, which the manufacturer states you don't need any SCA's at all for this coolant. I'd sure like to give it a try, but the only place I've found it is at Wal-Mart, and it's $10/gal for 50/50 pre-mix. Seems expensive, as are all pre-mixes in my opinion.

I've read about and used the propylene-glycol coolants, mainly the low-toxic stuff, and I've never had any problems, and actually like using the stuff. Is this ok to use, and do I still need the SCA's?

Then there is the standard ethylene-glycol stuff, which I know I'd have to either purchase pre-charged, or add SCA's.

Whenever I ask someone about coolant, including the Napa people, they all look at me funny when I ask about SCA's, or diesel cavitation. Napa has a SCA additive made by BG, a respectful name brand. Where is the best place to purchase the SCA's, and if I use the propylen-glycol mix, which kind of SCA do I need? I'm having a difficult time finding any of the pre-charged coolants. I've yet to try Ford or International, but I generally try to not purchase from dealerships.

Hopefully one of the experienced here can help me out.

Don't use the propylene-glycol, ford specifically recommends against it. I would suggest going to O'reilly's and buying the Fleetguard, it's red, precharged with SCA's, used in even the largest diesels, and $11 a gallon. You have to ask for it, it is in a black container with a colorful lable, and they keep it in the back (mine didn't even know they had it until I convinced them otherwise). You will need 4gallons of coolant and 4 gallons of distilled water.

You can also use regular green ethylene-glycol coolant and just add the ford FW-16.

Whatever you end up doing, just order some SCA test strips and test it when you're done and at least once a year.

BTW, the propylene-glycol does NOT mix with ethylene-glycol, and if you try to change it over without getting all the ethylene-glycol out then it will create gel wherever it mixes with any significant concentration of both and plug your radiator or worse, your cyl 7 & 8 water jackets...

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I didn't know that about the propylene-glycol coolants, so I'll stick with the regular green stuff.

I can't find any of the pre-charged stuff anywhere, and we don't have O'reilly's here either. I guess I'll just have to look for the normal low-silicate green stuff, and use that, and just add the SCA's afterwards.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Caterpillar dealer? They have both the ELC and a standard low silicate prediluted or just standard concentrated EG antifreeze. High quality precharged stuff. There is no reason why you can't just do what you said and go with the low silicate EG.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Napa has some stuff called "Fleet Charge." If you search "Fleet Charge" in google, i found that it meets ford's specifications. It's a pre-charged coolant (has the SCA's in it already) made for big diesel engines. Part number is fca003 (napa part number). It's 13.** per gallon for the concentrated stuff (not 50-50).

I'm in the middle of figuring this out myself...any info on whether this is good or bad i'd like to hear also.

Finding a spot for this filter head in the E-350 is way harder than you pickup guys :)

~Jeff

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a "Tractor Supply Company" near you they have both low silicate & precharged coolants. The $4 / gallon extra for the precharged didnt seen worth it just to not add an SCA at the initial fill. Of course I already had some SCA's here.