Converting to cup style freeze plugs

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here converted their idi to cup stylefreeze plugs?
I saw a vid on YouTube using a hole saw. Looked like it did a pretty good job. The author said he "turned" down the OD just a touch to make a tight fit.
I'm wondering how much material I should remove from the hole saw.
I can turn it down in my lathe.
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Justin is the person to contact. Don't think you can cut the hole saw on a lathe but a grinder sure will remove some material. I suspect he only removed the teeth offset but having never done this I'm only guessing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Justin is the person to contact. Don't think you can cut the hole saw on a lathe but a grinder sure will remove some material. I suspect he only removed the teeth offset but having never done this I'm only guessing.
That's what it looked like to me too. I wish I would have seen that video before I started on the Boss 302/429 freeze plugs in mine. It looks like that would have been easier to do.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are cup style freeze plugs better or just easier to install? Also, I thought I read somewhere on this forum that these motors MUST have stainless steel freeze plugs.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes and no on the install. You have to modify the block holes that the plugs go into. They have to be enlarged to 1 1/2". Once that's done, then the cup style ones are easier to install. The only kind that will work reliably with the stock set up is the stainless factory style ones.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cup style plugs I am looking at are Dorman part # 565-027. They are brass and measure 1.500" OD on the closed end, 1.511"OD on the open end and 0.570" in height.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disregarding that the brass cups are easier to install, which ones are better? There must be a reason for International using the convex stainless steel freeze plugs.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer that, as this is my first diesel and first time to deal with disk style plugs.
There is some slight pitting on the ledge where the disk style plugs sit. Worried that may be an area to start leaking. Then the engine would have to come out to repair it. I don't like doing things twice.
One and done.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disc freeze plugs "bite" as they expand. Cup style just expands and hold. Both have been used for a 100 years and work.

That being said I prefer the disc style. I've never used this special tool and never had an issue.

In your case I would put some JB weld on them and give them a gentle massage with a ball pien hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard of guys using a socket to get the disc freeze plugs in. And once they are in, tap the center of the freeze plug with a rounded punch & hammer to help embed the edges of the plug into the block. I would imagine some sort of sealant would be a good idea to use before installing them too.
Of course, the correct tool would be the best, but who the hell has those just lying around in a shop

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve heard of guys using a socket to get the disc freeze plugs in. And once they are in, tap the center of the freeze plug with a rounded punch & hammer to help embed the edges of the plug into the block. I would imagine some sort of sealant would be a good idea to use before installing them too.
Of course, the correct tool would be the best, but who the hell has those just lying around in a shop

My dad and I had a similar discussion. We were talking about the freeze plugs in the IDI, and I explained what type they were.

Now, understand, my Dad has been working on engines for over 50 years, and just recently bought new enough vehicles to have a warranty... (he turns 70 later this year). He is not a mechanic (No piece of paper, and the job he retired from was not a mechanics job,) but has worked in as a mechanic in his younger years, and has done all his own work, until recently. I told him about the almost impossible to find special tool. His statement, "Oh those, you just tap them in the hole and hit it with a ball-peen hammer. Done that for years, never had a problem in any engine I did that way"......

Disclaimer: I know that IH has a tool to do this job, this is just the opinion of one "old man"....... But if I had one fail, and it was in the truck and that was the only issue...... I own a ball-peen hammer......

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There was another member that was told by ih that's the way they do them.
Obviously Joe blow off the street may not be able to do it correctly, but the guys doing it for a living, I'm sure they've done enough of them.
I was told I was wrong for my response. An obsolete tool on an obsolete engine, you do what you gotta do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online