converting to a dually

northerncrewcab

Reaction score
I don't know if I ever will do this but I was wondering if it was possible to convert a single rear wheel 88 f-350 to a dually buy getting dual wheels and longer studs. Or is it more complicated than that? Maybe I would have to get different hubs all together as well as brakes? I know I would have to open up the wheel wells and add the fenders. Anyone know anything about this to and put an end to my curiosity.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as simple as you think. Few items to conside here. First, the width of the axles are different in order to accomodate for the added width of a pickup dually. Second, even though the hubs have the same part number, the drums and backing plate have a deeper offset to accomodate the dually wheels. If you do want to persue this, you might want to take a look at commercial dually axles, they are more plentiful and a little cheaper. couple of key points, measure your spring pad width on your chassis and check the commercial axles spring pad width to make sure they are the same. As a side bonus, the doghouse width is not as extreme as the pickup axle.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's some thought.
Goldie is a conversion company victim from somewhere west coast or Canada.....not sure.
On the rear brakes and drums,which I had replaced earlier this summer, were for SRW axle and had the 3" shoes. There is a 4" spacer setup secured with the stock lugnuts and have the larger diameter studs (5/8"?)for the dually setup.
Granted comparing Goldie to the Beef is not an even comparison as one is 4x4 and the other is not, both rears are different stud diameters. Possibly due to the 4x4 conversion me thinks. :confused:

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 8

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post Victor! Nice to see you back. I've thought a time or two about converting the Moose Truck, but since building the Moose Tail, I'd have to convert that too, and the cost of new pretty wheels and tires would really kill me, let alone the axle issues.

northerncrewcab

Reaction score
Ron you say Goldie is a victim? Did the conversion not work or did it break? My truck is a 4x4 so this conversion would work on my truck? I guess I would have to be sure about stud diameter and that the adapter matches. With the adapter I just install a regular set of dual wheels ?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
northerncrewcab said:
Ron you say Goldie is a victim? Did the conversion not work or did it break? My truck is a 4x4 so this conversion would work on my truck? I guess I would have to be sure about stud diameter and that the adapter matches. With the adapter I just install a regular set of dual wheels ?

Victor,
She fel prey to the conversion. Is a good thing except finding SRW braking system on the back half.... Only down fall cause I could user just a tad more braking power with the load I hauled yesterday
Kinda nice having a rig that wasn't made by Ford but converted....Normal :rolleyes: Aftermarket ;Sweet
I have swapped rims between both of my duallies and have had no problems with the rims not working, so those would work from the 4x2's. ;Sweet
Darrin had given me a list of a few places that carry some 4x4 wheel goodies. I know one of them was Lane Automotive Can't locate the others but if memory serves me right they were around the Michigan area. It should work.
If ya get a measure from backer plate to backer plate, I can take one also to see if there is a difference in axle length. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online