convert from wide radiator to narrow (adding AC)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please do, if i need a new condenser that is wider then ill do that, or a narrower rad. Either way, i just gotta get it in! :) if you could, snap a few of the region where the compressor mounts up too, i think i can get it together and i have an idea how it goes together but i got it in piecEs.

So i just checked online, wide rad is 4-row 37x15" and narrow is 3, 30x23" therefore mine is the wide version... Ill see if i can find a wider condenser but im not sure how the lines would make it in unless they go under the rad on wide ones?

------
I was right about dealership AC, i found a site that lists a condenser for 285$ almost 3x as much as factory cond..

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wide rad in truck narrow one on top...both ugly...both need replacement I still have condenser and AC stuff under hood of red one...which was narrow setup!

You must be registered for see images attach

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
IIRC (got rid of my 83 in 1994 so this is a 18 year recollection!) the wide radiator is not as tall as the "narrow" one. It stays above the frame rails instead of dropping between them correct?

I think I saved the "old" radiator out of the 83 when I replaced it. (Yep been saved for 20 years or so!) It kinda looked like it might fit my 1962 Chevy PU I was always going to put a 3208 Cat or something in. Of course there are many choices now!

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wide rad in truck narrow one on top...both ugly...both need replacement I still have condenser and AC stuff under hood of red one...which was narrow setup!
Mine is definitely the lower - wider one! Now I need to figure out if I should switch over, or if its easy to adapt the AC since it is out

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd sooner add a different condensor than change out the wide rad! The wide one does a better job of cooling in my opinion. Clearly the decision by Ford to change the rad to accomidate the same condensor they were using in other trucks, was an economical decision and not one based on technical merit!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel exactly the answer I was needing. Now I just gotta figure out how the "dealer" condensor has the lines ran, and if I can adapt that to a "factory" AC system or if they used a different hose. I imagine the compressor, evap, dryer are all the same. Just maybe hosing and definitely the condenser. I can try to call around.

Doing the math though for the radiators - square inches only for surface area, not accounting for fin and tubes, rows I get 555in² for the wide and 690in² for the tall :eek:

Anyone with a tall rad, can you measure the space between the radiator sides and core support gap. I wanted to see if there would be enough room for intercooling pipes maybe

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/3rd of the tall rad is blocked by "stuff" where as zero % is blocked with the wide rad.
IMHO anyway.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel exactly the answer I was needing. Now I just gotta figure out how the "dealer" condensor has the lines ran, and if I can adapt that to a "factory" AC system or if they used a different hose. I imagine the compressor, evap, dryer are all the same. Just maybe hosing and definitely the condenser. I can try to call around.

Doing the math though for the radiators - square inches only for surface area, not accounting for fin and tubes, rows I get 555in² for the wide and 690in² for the tall :eek:

Anyone with a tall rad, can you measure the space between the radiator sides and core support gap. I wanted to see if there would be enough room for intercooling pipes maybe

This is the rad of choice for IC as the factory PS ic can be made to work with a lil ingenuity!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which part of bc? im not far south of washington state!
if i cant figure out converting this system i will just get a smaller rad, i already patched this one in two spots. had to solder it on a core and the overflow barb was busted - prior owner. oh and the lip was uneven where the rad cap seals so i reground it flush!

narrow rodney red, intercooled, ac - I'd be styling haha

Hey...I can cut the lower section off a bent rad support...I will take pics if you want...and ship it to ya..u pay shipping!..Or you can drive up to BC...we can meet and you can take it back with ya???

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Oroville WA 98844, cross over into Canada at Osoyoos...drive up the highway, turn left heading towards Vancouver drive about 30 minutes and your at my place! total time about 45 minutes from US border...LOL I'll take pics of what I got...hell You could take it all back and cut out exactly what you need...OR straighten it if need be...it's just that the rad support is a 92 up...the lower section doesn't matter it's just the rest where fenders and lights mount that make the difference...I know cause I tried to use my gas 90 for 92 clip...dimensionally same...physically wrong..lights n ***** don't work...I'll take a pic tomorrow..who knows may have other stuff you want...Dana 60?????

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Oroville WA 98844, cross over into Canada at Osoyoos...drive up the highway, turn left heading towards Vancouver drive about 30 minutes and your at my place! total time about 45 minutes from US border...LOL I'll take pics of what I got...hell You could take it all back and cut out exactly what you need...OR straighten it if need be...it's just that the rad support is a 92 up...the lower section doesn't matter it's just the rest where fenders and lights mount that make the difference...I know cause I tried to use my gas 90 for 92 clip...dimensionally same...physically wrong..lights n ***** don't work...I'll take a pic tomorrow..who knows may have other stuff you want...Dana 60?????
definitely want that radiator support and dana 60! how about a zf5 or brownie?

your not too far north from us i just gotta wait for my passport lol.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely want that radiator support and dana 60! how about a zf5 or brownie?

your not too far north from us i just gotta wait for my passport lol.
Here are a couple shots...this shows the bent side, the bad crunch....and how the lower portion of the rad support is solid and could be used to cut and add into a gasser!

Hope this could work for you.

If your serious about the 60 or any other parts, let me know, we can make arrangements! riotwarrior at gee mail dot com

We can get off the board for details.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any AC diagrams of dealership-added AC as opposed to factory? I know the condenser is different, but not sure if thats all or if there is an extra hose, etc. photos or diagrams of any ac stuff would be appreciated! I already eyeballed how the compressor mounts up and will try a mockup when i get time off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent