Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve used this on a few engines and it’s held up great
You must be registered for see images attach

zaroot

Reaction score
Thanks for the paint number, I will grab some later on when I need oil/coolant/filters. I did some shopping around and got a full HG kit w/ valve cover and exh manifold gaskets, int manifold gasket, and oil cooler gasket/o ring kit for $158 shipped from autopartskart.com. Wasn't planning on doing waterpump (recently done), timing cover, rear main, or oil pan so didn't want the full Mahle/VR kit shown earlier in my post. Rockauto/OReilly/Advance/Napa were all $50-80 more. In case anyone else is looking to do this repair, here are the part numbers:
HG kit: Felpro HS 9047 PT
Intake Manifold Gasket: Felpro MS 96038
Oil Cooler mounting/seal kit: ES 72519

Oilburner community swayed me to fix the 7.3 instead of going full 5.9 swap at the moment. The leading factor was the 172k miles being considered low, and the oil still looking clean.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in case you haven’t ordered anything yet, buy 6.9 headgaskets and knock out the coolant passages plugs in the heads and block. This is the 7.3 cooling mod, there’s a write up if you search for it. All 7.3 IDIs had four coolant passages plugged from the factory to help with emissions by keeping more heat near the cylinders. The 6.9s did not have these plugs so by removing the plugs and running a 6.9 head gasket you get a much cooler running engine.

zaroot

Reaction score
I literally checked my email to see “your order has shipped!” And then checked this post lol. So I read up on the plugs in the corners of the block and head, that is what needs punched or drilled? Many people say the Felpro gaskets have a piece that can be popped out in the corners. From what I can see in the stock photos, that outer area between the last cylinder and cooling passage seems extremely thin.

6.9 gasket set
You must be registered for see images

7.3 gasket set

Almost seems too close for comfort. At this point, on an NA engine with newer water pump/thermostat, oil cooler gaskets, and everything else I’m replacing, I guess I’ll roll the dice and hope she lasts and stays cool. When I got the truck a year or so ago, it towed fine; just slow.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the side by side pictures of the gaskets.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I thought he was saying that the pieces are removable. Actually, they come in their own plastic bag in the head gasket box and you have to install them. YES, by all means, use the inserts. They have a small hole in them from the factory to allow coolant flow. You could do like Thewespaul did and enlarge the holes a little bit too.

zaroot

Reaction score
Ended up grabbing a complete 89 F250 7.3 with a Banks turbo kit. Will be scavenging the turbo setup, but if anyone is interested in the truck itself prior to it hitting the classifieds, I’d take an offer. PM
Me. Northern MD 21161

Truck will come with exh manifolds and newer y pipe. No exhaust pipe underneath.
7.3 IDI 182k Miles
C6 auto
Dana 44 TTB front
3.55 gears
Extended cab long bed
Bed does have tail lights
Has some bondo in it
Red interior is pretty decent
Has a good oil leak at the dipstick tube
Will need glow plug controller and CDR stuff, as I am using it on my turbo swap.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 44 on an IDI?? Didnt know they came like that...especially in 89. My 89 is a D50.
How the heck did they get such a big lift up front?!? That thing is way up there, gotta be 6" higher than my stock 4x4.

zaroot

Reaction score
Dana 44 on an IDI?? Didnt know they came like that...especially in 89. My 89 is a D50.
How the heck did they get such a big lift up front?!? That thing is way up there, gotta be 6" higher than my stock 4x4.

Yeah I guess you’re right, must be a d50 TTB due to the weight rating since it’s a 250HD. Thanks for catching that! Regarding the lift, yeah it’s something huge. Had some 35s on it prior apparently.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen Dana 44s on single-cab F-250 IDIs. None on extended cabs, all Dana 50s.

zaroot

Reaction score
Wow I wasn’t expecting such a treat with this turbo removal. Super PITA. Still have the round flange where the down pipe connects to get off. I have the old Banks kit, pre SideWinder. Even with all 4 bolts removed from the plate mount on backside of head, I cannot finagle this thing out with the short piece of downpipe attached.

Not mine, but this is it:

zaroot

Reaction score
Here is my kit, still need to get a new oil feed line, flange gasket, drain line gasket, and new probe for pyrometer. Older Banks Gen 1 non-WG. Believe it to be a Garret.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks just like my Banks kit. Someone even cut the big box down the same as I did. Mine is still going strong [emoji1320]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online