Conversion Questions

393mach1

Reaction score
I just bought a 1975 bronco and I'm interested in converting it to diesel. I would like to do it cheap and quick, so this I what I came up with: I want to buy an old running 4X4 diesel truck (like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8013843850&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1) and pull the motor, tranny, and t-case and throw them in the bronco. I’m guessing I will have clearance issues, so I’m prepared to throw on a suspension lift, body lift, and hack away anything else that is in the way. I am pretty sure that I will have to make/modify cross members and motor mounts, and have my driveshafts altered, no big deal. The problem is that I really don’t know much about diesels, so please educate me. Here are some questions that I came up with:

What is the difference between 7.3 and 6.9?
Do diesels just use big block ford setups (motor mounts, bellhousings, etc.)?
If I buy a whole diesel truck for parts, what transmission can I expect? What t-case?
What should I look for/watch out for in a parts truck?
What year truck would be best?
If I find a 2wd diesel at the right price, can I just throw on a 4wd tranny/t-case?
Will a transmission from a gas engine work? Does it have to be a Big Block tranny?
Could I use the original tranny from the bronco?
What else would I have to transfer from the truck?
Will I have any problems with the 9 inch rear or D44 front pushing 36” tires? What about towing?
I would like to run it on WVO, and I have heard the PowerStroke is not good with WVO, is that true?
What would be the best motor for this application?

Any other concerns?

Thanks in advance

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
393mach1 said:
What is the difference between 7.3 and 6.9?
-nothing notable externally outside of the head bolts.
Do diesels just use big block ford setups (motor mounts, bellhousings, etc.)?
-diesels have their own bellhousing pattern. there is rumor that some have been able to bet most of the BB bolts to go in but there's a couple that won't work. if you do a search on mel's bronco project, your answers will be found there.
If I buy a whole diesel truck for parts, what transmission can I expect? What t-case?
-depends on the truck you buy. do you want auto or manual. there are four choices.
What should I look for/watch out for in a parts truck?
What year truck would be best?
-depends on what's availible. obviously 4wd is the best choice.
If I find a 2wd diesel at the right price, can I just throw on a 4wd tranny/t-case?
-outside of some debate, there is no reason why you can't hang whatever trans off the back of the motor.
Will a transmission from a gas engine work? Does it have to be a Big Block tranny?
-see the earlier answer.
Could I use the original tranny from the bronco?
-see the above answer
What else would I have to transfer from the truck?
-don't know.
Will I have any problems with the 9 inch rear or D44 front pushing 36” tires? What about towing?
-i guess you'll be the first to let us know on the earlier generation broncos :D
I would like to run it on WVO, and I have heard the PowerStroke is not good with WVO, is that true?
-there's quite a few guys here running "waste whatever oil" in their IDI's. as far as the PSD....you have to go upstairs and ask them.
What would be the best motor for this application?
-there has been a fair amount of debate and documentation on which of the IDI's are the best. Best thing to do is for you to read through the tech articles and make your own decisions on what's best for YOU.

Any other concerns?
-nope.....actually...one. hope you have a digicam and document the heck out of what you are doing since you will be the "lab rat" on this project :D

Thanks in advance
I am too lazy to retype all your questions, so I answered in your quote section ;p

393mach1

Reaction score
i would definately prefer manual. my understanding is that the 6.9's come with 4 speeds and the 7.3's come with 5 speeds. what t-cases come on each?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel (agnem) is finishing a bronco/diesel convertion and will jump in anytime.

Good luck and please don't forget to post pics.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi 393. Glad you made it over from TDS. I wanted you to come here, because if you look at the top of this forum, there are two FAQ's that you should read, and a ton of technical articles above that, most of which should answer many of your questions. The BW-1345 and BW-1356 are the most common transfer cases, and bolt to any of the transmissions used with the diesel.