Continuing difficulties in obtaining new injectors

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about source for quality factory turbo (G??) injectors?

I am considering WVO or WMO setup so maybe replacing with regular injectors would be better, I dont know if alt. fuels cause problems with the "turbo" injectors?

Also is dieselmann still the best place to get the DiPaco injector install kit?
If I am going to do return lines/caps/seals etc I may as well replace my old injectors at the same time, right?

My IP should still be good, are there any o-rings/seals in IP or hard lines that will probably need changed when I do this other stuff?

I have read there is a difference with regular injectors and "turbo injectors". But is there a different "turbo" IP that comes on factory turbos? And how do I tell if mine is turbo pump?... because I know it has been replaced.... Do pump and injectors have to match up in age and type?

(Maybe I should have started a new thread..)

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
G codes are an emissions injector, BB codes are generally considered the best stock injector.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G codes are an emissions injector, BB codes are generally considered the best stock injector.

Yup G codes were for emissions not for the turbo thats why the N/A trucks had E codes oh wait thats right G codes were built to match the turbo and provide a more eficent burn of the fule wich does make better cleaner emissions but more importantly what happens when you burn more of the fule, any one?...Any one?... well since every one swears G codes are for emissions and BBs make big power no one will get it so I'll tell you its a common miss conception in the diesel world if I inject more fule I'll have more power but realy power comes from burning more fule no just spraying more in. Nozzel vs nozell the BBs can flow more fule but the G codes when ran with a pump calibratted for them actualy inject more fule at a higher pressure wich means the fuel is burnt more eficently.

I love how people say they did that for emissions reasons when refering to the 7.3s guess how emmissions, the ones people thought about, in 93,94 were reduced by burning fule more efficently ok I'll step down from my soap box.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I will take all the "emmisions injectors" you can send me. I tried flowing bbs vs gs, and I could see that the gs flowed slightly more at the same pressure, but my means of measuring were too inaccurate to say how much more. That said, the gs being a stanadyne injector dont hold up spray pattern-wise like the bbs.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big reason bb codes are so popular is that they are, well were, readily available at a decent price. I ran rebuilt g codes with my non turbo pump and then with new bb codes and ,going by the advice of the pump shop the g codes are optimum with the turbo pump,mainly due to the timing curve to match the higher pop pressures. if the na pump is timed to the turbo specs then g,s will be a good choice,otherwise not so much.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup G codes were for emissions not for the turbo thats why the N/A trucks had E codes oh wait thats right G codes were built to match the turbo and provide a more eficent burn of the fule wich does make better cleaner emissions but more importantly what happens when you burn more of the fule, any one?...Any one?... well since every one swears G codes are for emissions and BBs make big power no one will get it so I'll tell you its a common miss conception in the diesel world if I inject more fule I'll have more power but realy power comes from burning more fule no just spraying more in. Nozzel vs nozell the BBs can flow more fule but the G codes when ran with a pump calibratted for them actualy inject more fule at a higher pressure wich means the fuel is burnt more eficently.

I love how people say they did that for emissions reasons when refering to the 7.3s guess how emmissions, the ones people thought about, in 93,94 were reduced by burning fule more efficently ok I'll step down from my soap box.

George, the IDI turbo was given an HP rating that was just 10 more than the NA version. This is classic marketing at it's best! Ford was getting squeezed by GM who started offering the 6.5 with a turbo, and so they needed a turbo option, but they also had the PSD in the offing which would have been introduced with an embarrasingly low HP by comparison to an IDI that was being "allowed to run". The 7.3 turbo pump, injectors, turbo, and downpipe were all designed to increase emissions compliance. NOT horsepower. G injectors are no better at delivering more fuel at higher presure than double B's. The pop presure of the G code injectors may have been a little higher in an attempt to improve atomization, but in reality it was just another part number they wanted to throw into the mix to make it look like they were really trying to get the emissions down. These are dog and pony injectors if you understand what I mean. Besides, in todays world, the double B's are all you can really buy new, and the other letter codes are meaningless on a rebuilt injector because the nozzle is what determined the letter code, and most of those are BB nozzles now anyway. It's easy to get lost in the technology when you don't take politics into consideration.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Everyone talks like the injectors are the restitriction in the injection of fuel. I say no. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the holding factor is the IP. Yes there will be a point where the injectors become a limiting factor, but not with a stock pump, stock turned up pump, or even a Moose pump or like pump.

Tip's are different between the two. Higher pop pressure can also be set in BB codes. Like Russ said, I think BB codes are more popular because they (were) easier to get, and cheaper as well. Also, I'm sure parts stores loved to jack prices on G codes as they were the "turbo injectors" so obviously you get more power out of them, right?

I tried G codes for a while during the Great BB v G code debate a couple years ago. I couldnt tell a difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees... Let me throw some fat on the fire. For a long time I felt the turbo "G" codes were the best thing out there.... Till I installed a set of BB codes. What a big differance in power I got. I'm able to time my motors anywhere I want be it 8.5 or 10.2... It doesn't matter. My meters will time down to 1/10 of a degree. I kept the timing the same when I switched from G to BB. I could feel the differance. I did not dyno this feeling either and I have nothing to gain by saying otherwise. I do the testing for everyone here. Then I post the information I have. Now that I have published what I have found out you are now able to make up your own mind as to what you want to do but... Please remember this..... If the sign says WET PAINT.... Don't touch it to find out... That goes with a lot of things in life...:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remaned are good now?? i thought you guys regarded them as poop...

know where i can get a good reman'd set. i dont care if injectors are new or reman if they work the same last the same etc

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remaned CAN be poop. It depends on who remans them, and what the consistency of their quality is. I don't think they are a great value, as the cost difference doesn't give me a woodie.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any real difference between off the shelf a,b,bb,c,d codes? I need new injectors and wanted BB's but everywhere that sells them lists it as "a,b,bb,c,d" rather than code specific. is the code just an identifier on who made em?

i know the g's are the turbo emission ones, but if i order a kit that says all those codes I'll get BB's? Don't have room to make financial mistakes right now :eek:

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't a real diffrence The codes mostly have to do with where injectors pop more than nozzel design I orderd a pump by year for a truck then relised the service writer had put the wrong year on the ro so I looked at the part numbers almost all or the part numbers are the sane to BBs E and Gs had diffrent numbers.

Mel I agree on some of what you said. Gs only work properly with the right pump just advancing the timming will make the engine no run like poop but is not enough to actualy get what you need out of the G codes. For put the turbo on as an altitude compensater the 10 HP came from adding enough fule so you wouldn't lean out under boost ford did not need a turbo on the IDI to keep up with the compwetition in power numbers. Yes ford limited the power of the IDI what would every one have thought if The PSD had les power. But I still maintain that G codes with the proper pump are better than BBs with the proper pump. I've popped new BBs and new Gs and the high crack pressure does lead to better atomization. I'm not going off what ford says I'mm going off personal experiance and stanadyne engineering documents that explain how this all works. Besides bettter atomization a higher crack presure is more eficent for a nother reason our engines obviously are ignighted by compression, presure form the compresion stroke making heat injecting fule at a higher presure will make it ignight faster.

You can clearly see I think G codes are better but others seem to like BBs this is stock for stock so I don't want any one getting an idea that any of this pretains at any way to Mels moose injectors since me and him seem to have diffrent opinions from what I know of his injectors they basicly fall into a diffrent class and I belive he basess them off BBs or maybe what ever injector you send him but they are not the stock injectors when hes done. so Just remeber his injectors are a diffrent subject.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went ahead and ordered a set of 8, then ill get return line kit and hopefully the beast runs gud :sly:backoff

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Justin about the injectors not being the limiting factor. That's why if people have ordered a Moose pump or gotten one of the good DPS pumps they've been happy even if they still kept stock injectors. I've been told that stock injectors can move more than enough fuel to melt even a turbo IDI together. I can't personally vouch for the truth of that. I think the best power upgrade is a "hot" injection pump with a set of injectors that are matched in pop pressure and have a decent spray pattern. If you don't care about spray pattern then the Stage 1s sure can move some fuel. Best of all worlds seems to be the Moose Misters but it's hard to justify the expense. Paired with a hot pump and an IC and a turbo that can really move some air this might find the practical limit of IDI hp until someone comes up with some better ideas.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember there was a post about some crazy mechanical pump that was like 10 grand or something. I would like to see the data from that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.