Cold weather driving

loggin350

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am in need of some advice for the colder weather that is approaching. I recently built a functional cowl hood and it works great for keeping engine temperatures down in the hot summers here in north carolina, however I am wondering if I should block off some or all of the cowl induction opening and or the front grille to keep some heat in. It's only dropped into the 50s here at night and in the morning so far and my temperature gauge doesn't move very far up compared to what it used too and with the holidays coming soon I will be taking leave and heading back home to ny to visit friends and family and am wondering what I should do for even colder temps thank you in advance - Matt

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet ya dollars to donuts it wont blow hot air after 10 mins in -30...unless ya put it on high idle at 2500 rpm

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to know a guy who did this...I was in total disbelief that it lasted a whole winter. He had a mid 90's chev with a 6.5 dsl n he never plugged it in...would go out at -20 n fire it up n wait for about 5 seconds (I assume he was watchin for oil pressure) n then ya could see em fumbling with a stick to jam under the dash that made it run right to the governor. Then he would go back in the house n wait about 15 mins n then leave...I just couldnt believe it haha

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck was making good heat PRIOR to the hood modification, and is not doing so now, one option is to obtain an un-molested hood, paint it to suit, and run it in the cold weather.

Completely blocking the grille makes a big difference in heater performance.

I don't recommend anything immediately covering the radiator itself, as this can cause the fan-blades to flex themselves into the radiator when there is no air invasion at all.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
X2 blocking the rad makes a big difference in warm up time, and warm staying in.

My F250 has always had a bra over the grill since new all winter, and it has 2 opening flaps on it when it gets abit warmer, I usually opened 'em to help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
i prefer my truck to run cold since it has ishues with getting to hot when its gotta actualy work a litel but i just stuff a pizza box between my grill and grill guard. agreeing with thermostat being a posibull cause but when its not moveing ten mins ideling its warm and blowing heat. i guess it could be stuck closed but it dont get to hot till i hook my trailer to it and go up the hill to get home my problem is probly all radiator related

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it drops consistently below 30f in central Indiana the insect mesh comes out and the front grille gets blocked off.

loggin350

Reaction score
ok thank you all for the replies i am going to experiment with different block offs and see what i can come up with

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess it could be stuck closed but it dont get to hot till i hook my trailer to it and go up the hill to get home my problem is probly all radiator related

I would check your fan clutch, I never had heat issues with my 6.9 unless I was towing, and it was the fan clutch not locking that caused it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online