Cold weather burnin WMO mix

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well to start another discussion. cookoo

Goldie has been bumped up to 3 gallons/tank. Both front and rears. Well after the temps have dropped into the 20's, she doesn't like to start as easy with that much mix.
-cuss -cuss Is what she does to me.
All the glow plugs are working good and the truck fires off on all 8 but takes more cranking than usual. Like 5-10 seconds (throttle floored) versus 1-2 seconds at 40-50 degree weather. Not sure if'n there are 2 factors playing here.
Either the increased thickness of the WMO concotion is enough to slow things down abit or a combination of that and the temps of cooler starting.
Memory fails me as to the Beef starting routine from last year as I tend to forget things after I have slept and Alzheimers runs in the family...... Uh where was I at? :eek:
Rob I know you were playing hard and have been cooler temps than here any thoughts? Anyone? Buehler? cookoo

Really been pondering the need to thin out the mix as to save a new pump as it would not be a good thing to change one out in the cold without the confines of the shop.....Don't ask. :backoff

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Since the temp dropped below the 50 degs. I quite using my WVO. I put 50/50 mix in the fridge and it just didn't look like it was mixing well. So for now I'm just brewing and filter WVO for my dad so he can use it in FL during the winter months. After I get his barrel filled I'll start making some for myself, and store it until spring.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice avatar Russ! ;Sweet I would imagine though that nobody (who doesn't know you) will think it is you. They will probably think it is some famous stock car driver or something. LOL Ron, are you running any fuel additive with the WMO?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Only problem with that pic is, it shows that I have more face to wash and less hair to shampoo :cry: :rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, are you running any fuel additive with the WMO?

Yep, Power Service in the white gallon jug........R/R promo :D
Get it by the case.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
i'd have to agree with the viscosity arguement, as i've noticed that as i increased my mix, she talked back a little whenever i'd go for the first start of the day - even back with warmer temps IIRC.

Wednesday afternoon it was 78*F, this morning 29*F :confused:
almost didn't make it in to work - i hope Thursday is mild... i think i'll be replacing the starter :mad: so that is certainly another factor, but i still say the colder weather + wmo mix is the root cause...
i'm still intending to try going to a stronger mix - let me know if you do back off (and if that helps).

i quit using the PS about my second tank of bunker fuel, but i still have half a gallon - maybe i'll add some next fill-up as a test?

sassyrel

Reaction score
since you have two tanks--run one with straight 2--the other with mix --start on 2-switch as soon as starts--and switch back about two minutes before shutdown--cleans out the wmo--

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
takes longer then 2 min. it takes atleast 2 miles to flush WVO out of my truck and it only has to go from about eight inches from the fuel pump

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
For time being, I thinned my WMO mix back to 2 gallons per fill instead of 3.
I thought of having one tank straight "D" and switch over but like Aric... too long a flush out especially from the transfer valve.
Will try at the thinner mix/power service and see from there. Got back into the 40's here so kinda backfired my testing for this past weekend. cookoo