Cold start vid

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No winter type motor oil for me for said reasons, it just doesnt get to cold here for it to be worth it for me. And yeah I figure my starter is on its last legs, but maybe not. The oil I'm running is just Delo 15w40. I'm planning on getting a gear reduction starter and new battery cables, that should make things easier for it to start. The glow plugs were on for a good 7 seconds before the light went out, its the factory thing, so maybe I'll convert to a pushbutton style glow plug system as well.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oooh ****. Remember my other thread when I was having that ticking/chugging sound, and somebody said listen for a valve or lifter problem, it will sound like its beating on a bass drum....Well listen to mine after it gets started, is that the sound he was refuring to?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I've just been informed that 7 seconds is not enough, Mel told me a few days ago that so long as you have the Beru GPs in there you are supposed to do a 10-12 second run of the GP's before trying to start it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Doesnt sound any worse than mine, but thats not saying much. lol
I honestly dont hear anything wrong with it. Just cold and unhappy you woke it up when it was so cold.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I've just been informed that 7 seconds is not enough, Mel told me a few days ago that so long as you have the Beru GPs in there you are supposed to do a 10-12 second run of the GP's before trying to start it.

Yeah thats probably true, but I cant really do anything about it, it still has teh factory glow plug timer on it. I guess I'll change it to push button one of these days

Doesnt sound any worse than mine, but thats not saying much. lol
I honestly dont hear anything wrong with it. Just cold and unhappy you woke it up when it was so cold.

Goodness I hope so LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats probably true, but I cant really do anything about it, it still has teh factory glow plug timer on it. I guess I'll change it to push button one of these days

Goodness I hope so LOL

My personal theory on what kills the factory controllers is moisture. It just so happens to sit right under the cowl seal, which is only a seal in the sense that it was once flexible and called a seal. :rolleyes: Your factory controller may last if you keep it dry. Mine is 25 years old this summer and still works great, thanks to years of isolation from mother nature. I'll probably replace it when it's too late.

Jaybee

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I had a teenager look at my truck interested in buying it. It was about 20 degrees out, and I purposely did not start it prior to him showing up. I realized he didn't know a thing about diesels when he didn't seem impressed with the cold start! I've only driven the truck about 10 miles in the last year and a half, and it still started perfectly at 20 degrees. I let the glow plugs cycle once, put the accelerator down, and hit the key. It rolled over about one and a half revolutions then fired on all 8 simultaneously and idled "smoothly" with that wonderfully deep rattle of a cold idi with the cold start advance on. And he wasn't the least bit impressed... I was!

Ford Guy 100 - your truck sounded pretty slow rolling over to me. It also sounded like only a few cylinders were trying at first.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i would definatly change out the batt cables and starter. youll be amazed at how fast it turns with a new gear reduction starter and nice clean cables

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I had a teenager look at my truck interested in buying it. It was about 20 degrees out, and I purposely did not start it prior to him showing up. I realized he didn't know a thing about diesels when he didn't seem impressed with the cold start! I've only driven the truck about 10 miles in the last year and a half, and it still started perfectly at 20 degrees. I let the glow plugs cycle once, put the accelerator down, and hit the key. It rolled over about one and a half revolutions then fired on all 8 simultaneously and idled "smoothly" with that wonderfully deep rattle of a cold idi with the cold start advance on. And he wasn't the least bit impressed... I was!

Ford Guy 100 - your truck sounded pretty slow rolling over to me. It also sounded like only a few cylinders were trying at first.

Yeah it turns over to slow for my liking. I really dont know what happened to it, last summer it would turn over way faster, and would start on its first revolution. But when school rolled around it started to turn over slower and slower until what it does now. Sometimes, actually, my truck will turn over faster than in the vid, but other times, its like my batteries are dead and it will barely turn over. I'm guessing bad cables, but who knows.

And another weird thing about my truck is that it seems to take longer to start when my foot is to the floor, it will actually start better if I just turn it over with no extra throttle. Hopefully thats not the sign of something bad LOL. In the vid my foot was to the floor by the way.

And yes I love the sound of a cold IDI in the morning, especially at first start up and you havent tapped the throttle to kick it on the cold idle advance, blug blug blug..... it sounds good :D.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
That sounds like what mine does full throtle and it binds up half or less and it flys. could it be the fuel and compression (kind of a miss-fire?) some one had said let the plugs light then turn it off and light it a second time till it fires?:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well when I start it full throttle it will turn over, then you can hear it kind of catch and the engine will spin over faster, but if you let up off the starter it will die. Though when I let up off the stater I take my foot off the throttle, mabye if I were to keep my foot into it it might catch.

rubberfish

Reaction score
That can be archived by cycling the key again
for a second time, can it not? :dunno
I'm not sure because I don't have the WTS enabled. ;Really

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you pushing the accelorator to the floor before cranking? If so, do me a favor and try it once without it. Mine starts WAY better if I don't touch the fuel feed to set the high speed advance. I can also tell you that it has been timed with at least 6 different timing meters to verify that they worked, it is in time. None the less, the slap the fuel feed to the floor and release, then start cranking does nothing but make mine crank over faster. I turn the key on, the glow plugs cycle, and I crank it up...in 6 degrees it didn't take much more than a full revolution of the motor and it was running. Now if I touch that fuel feed, it sounds like yours. Mine will actually start, then after about 30 seconds, the fast idle will kick in, then when it gets to the proper temp, the fast idle drops back out.

Anyway, you might try it just for kicks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sle, I've tried it, and it seems to start about the same, maybe a little slower than if I tap the throttle before starting. I just tend to get in the truck, turn the key, hit the throttle, wait until the WTS light goes out and fire it up.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine worked just fine up until last winter, that's 21 years... The only reason I have a manual only setup on it now is the old one broke off when I went to try and remove it, have a new controller in the glovebox for some day when I get a round tuit...