Cold start vid

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injector pump is actually at full fuel while cranking and as soon as the gov spins it cuts the fuel. It gives extra fuel for starting, at least that is how it was explained to me by the pump shop. Holding it full open actually gives it less fuel while cranking.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty interesting. Justin the manual glow plugs is very easy. Zigg has a diagram how to do it, and it only costs around $25 in parts. 7 seconds on the stock 6.9 system might be enough. It usually would be around here but in 18* I'm not sure. I actually am really happy with my solid state conversion though. I haven't had the first problem since I went to the IH SS harness. My run of the mill connectors just weren't tight enough. If you go with the manual system you really want to try and get a momentary toggle switch instead of a regular switch. Less chance of leaving the plugs on as you have to hold it on, you can't forget. You sure can't burn them out by accident.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Why does it say on sun visiors hold pedal 1/2 when temp is above 32 and when below 32 stomp it?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Are you pushing the accelorator to the floor before cranking? If so, do me a favor and try it once without it. Mine starts WAY better if I don't touch the fuel feed to set the high speed advance. I can also tell you that it has been timed with at least 6 different timing meters to verify that they worked, it is in time. None the less, the slap the fuel feed to the floor and release, then start cranking does nothing but make mine crank over faster. I turn the key on, the glow plugs cycle, and I crank it up...in 6 degrees it didn't take much more than a full revolution of the motor and it was running. Now if I touch that fuel feed, it sounds like yours. Mine will actually start, then after about 30 seconds, the fast idle will kick in, then when it gets to the proper temp, the fast idle drops back out.

Anyway, you might try it just for kicks.

SLE I have noticed the same with my truck, It also starts easier without touching the pedal.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It was 15* this morning, and it didnt like it one bit. I took a vid of it in cab, but you now its bad when the truck starting takes up 2/3's of the vid and isnt even started. I was thinking it wasnt going to start :eek: . It took a good 12 seconds of cranking to get it going. Man I'm really considering some battery cables right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online