coilover conversion

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
4 link? it's not as hard as you would think. it just take some math and take your time. oh and $$$$$$$ lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Barber is your man for this answer. His truck has them. He adapted a kit made for something else. Look for posts by diesel4me2.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Growing up I couldn't wait for a front leaf spring'd truck so I could do more work with the truck! As it was, the 73 F100 4x4 I drove had a heavy as sin 360 in it and inside the coils were smaller helper coils which helped, but once I pulled the engine out to do work on it and saw how much weight the springs held back. They did an amazing job with that truck, it even rode very smoothly. Still does in fact, hydraulic shocks help.

But my 77 F250 will retain the leafs, and if I ever do a SAS on my 89 GMC I will probably go with leafs. But that's just my preference. I am in awe over custom projects that turn out well and work hard, so don't think I have anything against this coilover type ov conversion, it's just out of league with things I have to do at the moment, so I won't switch my thinking over until I need to.

zpd307

Reaction score
i would think it would help with the ride. plus you could fine tune the height. but i dont have anything to bend the tubing for the upper support hoop or the brackets for the 4 link. plus my fab skills arent that great..... oh, did i say that i suck at math! i can just imagine how much those coilovers are.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
It is a little pricey but very doable with only a welder and other basic metal tools. Shock hoops can be sourced online or just find a fab shop locally to bend some for you. If all you are after is ride quality, you would actually be better off with a TTB and getting coil-overs to work with that would be much easier.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at doing that before i worked on my truck. The money is in the coil overs. A decent set of kings or Fox remote res coil overs will cost about 1000 bucks. I opted for the 2008 F250 spings and shocks and bent beams. Rides 100 times better now, and the 5in lift made it look a lil nicer. Only needs 2 things now, a drop pitman arm and some 35s.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
I was looking at doing that before i worked on my truck. The money is in the coil overs. A decent set of kings or Fox remote res coil overs will cost about 1000 bucks. I opted for the 2008 F250 spings and shocks and bent beams. Rides 100 times better now, and the 5in lift made it look a lil nicer. Only needs 2 things now, a drop pitman arm and some 35s.

pic's:D:popcorn i want to see

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, i had these pics up a while ago when it was done. So far i have had no issues. The guys that did it were professionals who did this kinda stuff for a living. They live and breath off road racing. Im not saying they didn't do it the best way possible. I know some people have raised concerns about the type of weld used. But they have more experience than i do. We couldn't get the spring keeps on, but they said if i don't plan on jumping the truck it shouldn't be an issue.

At the top of the coil, im not sure why but they heated it up so it sat there better. It rides better now than it ever has, i since moving i have not been able to really take it off road, but what little i have done, it rides way better than it did.

Before:

You must be registered for see images attach

After:

zpd307

Reaction score
dont say that swear word again, ttb....... LOL many spent a lot of time getting rid of that. so far the only other viable option for better ride quality is doing a reverse shackle kit. but then it would ride only as good as my 03 did, which is better. i was going to check on the prices of shocks tomorrow at work, just to see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online