Coil or leaf springs.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what the advantages and disadvantages are of going to coil springs instead if leaf springs in the front of a 4x4. Dodge has done it for years, and Ford has gone to it a few years back to current SD's, and had it on the old F150's. Anyone done a 4x4 coil spring setup on an oder 250 or 350?

Tim

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen a 4x4 idi with coils, but I have seen 4x2's set up that way. I suppose it wouldnt really matter, seeing that many f150's have coils with their 4x4 setups. The only problem I see is that it would have to be one tough leaf spring to ride decent and still be firm enough to sustain a load.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The number one reason they went to the coil springs was to improve the turning radius on the SD's. Without that annoying leaf there, the wheels can turn sharper. I've heard they ride nicer too.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you think it would be easier to take a newer SD setup and put it on my truck, or should I take one off an older truck? I was thinking of using a Bronco twin shock setup, but haven't figure out the best way to hook up the solid axle to the springs?

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you think it would be easier to take a newer SD setup and put it on my truck, or should I take one off an older truck? I was thinking of using a Bronco twin shock setup, but haven't figure out the best way to hook up the solid axle to the springs?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A leave also provides lateral support a coil does not, so you need more hardware to support a coil verses a leaf. More moving parts, and more bushings to wear out. "Bronco bounce" was a definite problem, necesitating extra shocks.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
There is a 95 F-Superduty (450) Powerstroke around my area that was 2wd now's it's a 4x4. They used a Dana 60 off a 05 F550 with coils & regeared it to 3.73 when it did have 5.13 stock, now talk about a big switch there!
Putting the 05+ Dana 60s with coils onto the OBS trucks isn't a HUGE deal if you can fab alittle. There are other trucks with em, just remember might as well swap to a 10.5 or Dana 80 on the back since the bolt pattern won't match up on the wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online