Clutch not disengaging completely

Desert Diesel Dog

Reaction score
What years are effected by this cracking firewall problem?

I heard once that it was the early years... like before '87 ???

Is my '89 f250 prone to this problem?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What years are effected by this cracking firewall problem?

I heard once that it was the early years... like before '87 ???

Is my '89 f250 prone to this problem?

83-91. All Slantnoes and Bricknose cabs can have this issue with the firewall and clutch master issue. In 92 with the OBS Body style change, Ford changed the firewall and also changed the pedal bracket assembly and incorporated many of the fixes the TSB plate addresses.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a picture when I get home from work, and where is the most common point of failure mine appears to be cracked/rusted about a foot long or more directly along the bottom of the cowl where it meets that part of the firewall, my brake booster even moves out noticably when I push in the clutch.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a picture and from this angle it looks as though I may be able to hammer the trans tunnel in but this seems a little more than what most people had to do, just to clear up I'm not complaining, all the bolt holes line up perfect, in this picture all the holes are lined up perfect I can't just slide it to the left haha.
You must be registered for see images attach

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole cab has probably twisted/shifted over the years... er... decades, partly as a cause and partly as a result of the firewall issue. No surprise it's not a drop-in fit.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not doubting the cab has shifted, but I'm absolutely positive the holes in the firewall can make there way 1/4 inch closer to the trans tunnel, I'm going to cut off that bent tab and re weld it. I also think I'm just going to weld the plate in place instead of bolting it, since I don't see any reason it would ever need to be removed

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did read that, I guess I'll try banging the sheet metal more, mine doesn't seem much farther off than that now that I look at it again.

jhamil25

Reaction score
Ok, we're on the subject! I have a 88 F250 7.3 IDI. My clutch pedal doesn;t seem to want to come all the way back up. I assume it's a hydraulic clutch. If so where is the master cylinder? I'm new to this truck and it's got me feeling stupid! There is very little travel in the clutch. At sometime someone has added a return spring to the clutch pedal under the dash. Does anybody know what I'm looking at or what I should be looking for?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Clutch master is to the left of brake master, looking from the front.
Sounds like a weak master and or slave.
Any problems going into gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydraulics don't return the pedal. If something's STUCK, there may be a return problem. Otherwise, it's probably the pressure plate fingers, since they act as the return mechanism.

But first check all the mechanicals - pedal box bushings, pedal box itself, arm/pushrod bushing, etc. Arm to the pushrod may not be clocked correctly. Is there a lot of slop / free play in the pedal?

Of course, check the firewall as described in this thread. One possibility is with the firewall moving, the master pushrod is getting out of line, and it's binding when trying to return.

Edit - one possibility with the hydraulics is a LOT of air in the system. Possible result - when the fork pushes back, it compresses the air rather than moving the fluid and pushing the pedal back up.

jhamil25

Reaction score
The firewall is not flexing. I had that on an old dump truck and I installed a steel plate. There is about 3/4 to 1" travel in the rod and the slave seems to be moving about an inch. I pulled the inspection cover off and the disc only about 3/16" total. I will go out and take accurate measurements tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online