Clutch issue today

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it ever end?!

So i just went to the store, when i went to release the clutch the truck lurched forward chirping the tires. as i had let it out the pedal had suddenly felt different than it normally does. as i went to shift into second the clutch pedal felt normal again. i continued carefully to the store without issue. on my way home i went to down shift into 3rd and the pedal lost its pressure again and it felt like the clutch was barely engaging. now the pedal is squishy and it releases very close to the floor. i looked around for leaks but found none. the fluid in the clutch master looks to be about 1 to 1.5 inches down. the PO said the clutch was replaced and probably has 5k or so on it.
I am spent otherwise i would investigate further..
where do i start tomorrow?

thanks guys

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, the clutch hasn't been serviced and hasn't been weird since owning it.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take slave off the bellhousing fill master Cylinder with half inch fluid tilt slave at 45 degree angle and slowly pump slave rod while a helper looks in master. Should see bubbles then clutch is rebled

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45 degrees with the rod up or down? this works the air out without bleeding? i am a little confused on these instructions.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, is there a write up or parts list for replacing all the pedal assembly related bushings?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHOA...everyone stop with the take slave off advice...

Look at the damn arm with pin going into the master cyl pushrod, just above the throttle pedal.

There is a plastic bushing and it can wear and that would cause symptoms that you are describing.

The bushing wears and then the pushrod slips off a bit and suddenly...little to no pedal!

DON"T ask me how I know this!

Go to ADVANCED search type TECH 101 and search thread titles, then add my username you will likely find some good pics of what you need to look at!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHOA...everyone stop with the take slave off advice...

Look at the damn arm with pin going into the master cyl pushrod, just above the throttle pedal.

There is a plastic bushing and it can wear and that would cause symptoms that you are describing.

The bushing wears and then the pushrod slips off a bit and suddenly...little to no pedal!

DON"T ask me how I know this!

Go to ADVANCED search type TECH 101 and search thread titles, then add my username you will likely find some good pics of what you need to look at!

Had the bushing bad when I got my truck. It had been bad so long it elongated the hole on the mount under the dash. The "squishy" makes me thing the slave cylinder is leaking. Look under as someone else is pushing the pedal. When my slave cylinder went it only showed the leak when the pedal was pushed.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the bushing bad when I got my truck. It had been bad so long it elongated the hole on the mount under the dash. The "squishy" makes me thing the slave cylinder is leaking. Look under as someone else is pushing the pedal. When my slave cylinder went it only showed the leak when the pedal was pushed.

I will check this out as well, i did crawl under there last night and just ran my hand all over everything to check for a wet spot(easy) and didnt find any leaks that way.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the offending bushing?

You must be registered for see images

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to be the 386457 one. I think there are 3 of the same bushings on the pivot rod. Mine was the one on the clutch end. I replaced all three as well as the bracket as it was toast. The bracket looks to be quite different than the one on my 1990. But similar idea.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check this also
picture from riots tech101 post
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I also think its the 386457 bushing but others will come along to confirm this. I don't have a standard trans because the wifey is shiftless.. Metalmind. Please check your pm box. Message sent yesterday has not been answered yet...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the offending bushing?

You must be registered for see images

Not sure where this pic is front does not depict our setups but the closest bushing I see is 388115 that goes on the pin that the eye of pushrod goes onto.

It's quite clear in my thread and not much different than what's portrayed.

Need more or more clear image...

Search Tech 101 for pedal differences I did a thread on those too.

JM2CW

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker