clutch chatter

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What is it exactly? I have this shaking while loaded (18k) in first some times and backing up with a trailer behind is a RPITA :mad: , i thought it was mounts but no, U joints and straps are new as well, clutch 25k miles in it (see sig) so I called the guys at dialAclutch and they said the smf and clutch kit they sale is the best should never do this but I think I heard more than one here before complaining about he same as I am now. The clutch is not ceramic (I could swear that is what they told Me when I ordered it) and Yes that one is not for towing (cerametallic?) but the one I have is a regular 12" clutch that should be smooth, let Me tell You it is anything but smooth when backing up, period.

Any ideas? I don't want to be pulling this thing all the time.

Also they said th luk clutch is the only one to use with the smf :dunno .

Thank You.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the shake in reverse to start with then proceeded to do it in forward only while pulling my 14K fiver, forget backing into a camping spot.

Changed mine this year to the NAPA SMF conversion kit, man this thing is smooth, nothing but love for the change. $420 bucks and worth every dime.

If I let the truck idle and pull itself I get a gear lash noise, just touch the go pedel and she is quite, before if I got stuck on an incline and had to stop I could not pull out without shaking the whole truck and camper, then the only way to get it to move was rev up to 2500 and ride out the cultch hoping not to shake something loose.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
EZ I have the same problem with mine and so did Rob (F-350camper) but he found a fix to it but I can't remember what he did but I'm definately not going to buy a napa clutch to try and fix it cause mine was smooth when new too

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Heck this thing cost Me $568 I think I really don't want to spend more money in it, I want it to work. I talked to one guy at dialAclutch today and the guy wanted to convince Me that the problem must be on My truck bc their kit never fails :rolleyes: , right. I bought it from Paul (the owner) but is hard to get a hold of him now, the other guy didn't believe others have this problem too, He said something else is wrong with mine but after replacing several parts and the fact the truck never did this before the swap I find it hard to believe Him.

Aric, I remember Rob mention that once but back then I thought that was normal for this clutch, now that it is so much worse I get it it should not be this bad.

The guy even had the nerve to tell Me to go back the the dmf :***: did You sell the kit for? and then the lady said I was nasty, I said I'm not nasty I want You to give Me good customer service and that is why I give You a hard time :mad: , all day waiting for Paul to call and they want Me to buy another dmf.

EZ

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck does this very badly. I was told that the last clutch that was installed in it (err, the only one installed in it besides the stock one) was a ceramic clutch. So my first question is do they sell ceramic clutches for the T-19? But back to the shaking, mine will do it in 2nd gear real bad, bad enough I dont want to use it taking off from a dead stop, and it does it in 1st as well, not as bad, but still bad enough to shake the truck if I'm slipping the clutch a bit. Its really annoying, and I would love to find a fix for it, whether it be a new clutch or something else.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You see, in My first post I mentioned that to the sales man but He said the kit never comes with a ceramic clutch, those are impossible to use to back up and are used for sled pulling only. Now I remember someone (from dialAclutch) telling Me the kit comes with a ceramic clutch (the guy today said cerametallic) so I could not come to any conclusions with them today.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You see, in My first post I mentioned that to the sales man but He said the kit never comes with a ceramic clutch, those are impossible to use to back up and are used for sled pulling only. Now I remember someone (from dialAclutch) telling Me the kit comes with a ceramic clutch (the guy today said cerametallic) so I could not come to any conclusions with them today.

Nah, I dont think that ceramic clutches are only for sled pulling. I mean big rigs use them more so (at least to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) than fiber clutches cause they last longer.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
EZ Robs was so bad at chattanooga it did it even unloaded in 1st gear it made the whole truck jump while mine only does it when loaded heavy and it makes the tranny vibrate not the whole truck but my truck does jump some while trying to back up a trailer but it don't always do it. I beleive the cerametalic clutch is an upgrade option and you shouldn't have one> I think Rob replaced some bushings on some part of the clutch linkage that was letting the clutch modulate itself even though the foot pedal wasn't moving

FordGuy100

Reaction score
yup mine does it in 1st unloaded as well LOL , I've just lived with it. That would be cool if I could do something for it though.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just for giggle, check the bolts that mount the trans to the bushing and crossmember. I've got a broken tab on the drivers side, on the Beef, and when going into reverse it will shudder even with a stock clutch.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far (knock on wood) mine doesn't do this. And I just have a stock sprung-hub (anti-vibration) clutch disk and TOB for a ZF, along with the stock SMF (had it turned) and a stock PP for a T-19. Disk and PP are Valeo parts and the TOB is a Timken - all cheap parts from Autozone.

The only shuddering/jumping I get is when I'm towing my Jeep without the camper on (empty bed) and I try to take off from a dead stop going uphill. Then the rear wheels will start hopping.

Last time I had to have my boy jump out and lock in the hubs so I could use 4WD to get er rollin'. It was hopping and sqaullin' and jumpin' and crawlin' sideways - and making NO forward progress - does that count? ;)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clutch chatter is usually caused by a non-flat surface, either on the presure plate, the disc, or (most usually) the flywheel. It can also be caused by contaminants. If you got oil in the clutch somehow, or maybe some oil or grease crept out of the pilot bearing. The only way to really correct it, is to disassemble, and have the flywheel resurfaced, and replace the disc and presure plate. As an act of despiration, you could have somebody hold the clutch in while you spray brake cleaner onto the contact surfaces though the inspection cover, but only do that if your ready to take it apart just in case it makes it worse (by spreading stuff around that may be in there).

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch chatter is usually caused by a non-flat surface, either on the presure plate, the disc, or (most usually) the flywheel....
Ditto that. I've done clutches in the past without having the flywheel turned and it seems to be about a 50/50 proposition. Half the time it will be fine - the other half you'll end up with a grabby, chattering clutch.

For $25-$35 at the local machine shop it is an investment worth every cent. Given what a job it is to R&R the tranny in one of these rigs, I wasn't about to put it back together without spending that few extra bucks to do it right - it just wasn't worth the risk of having to do it all over again to save such a small amount of dough....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not sure going back will help, my DMF grabs funny when it gets hot. its fine most of time but i figure on doing a clutch job someday here.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I decided several yr ago that when ZF5 designed reverse they geared it at least 2 times as fast as they should have, especially when backing under a load!
Even when I had my DMF I ****** untracking loaded heavily in reverse & sometimes in 1st.
Last year when I changed out my clutch & flywheel I originally was gonna do the Lucky Mod & use my 11" DMF & modify etc.
All my helpful "good buddy" friends kept coming by & giving all that good moral support...like cookoo cookoo "you're stupid, dumb, It'll never work, tightwad, what's wrong with 'ya, ??"cookoo cookoo

Not really having a good place to work & not having my good precision drillpress hooked up & working, running short of time, bad cold outdoor weather....as well as getting a big case of PO'ed, & running risk of blowing up & loosing some of these "good buddy" friends, I finally relented & took & installed a nearly new, used, free NAPA 12" SMF clutch kit from one of these good friends wrecked & parting out rig. I think he must'a installed it, then wrecked it on test run, or soon thereafter.
This thing has grabbed & ****** untracking empty in rev & 1st, as well as made noise & racket continually! All kinds of "rollover" noise.
The jerking drives me nuts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.