Clear Fuel Bowl for your 6.9 or 7.3!

How often do you check for water in your fuel filter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man do you have a part number that you ordered off that site?

I assume it will work fine for the NA 7.3 idi?

it's the one posted in the first post here by vn1500g3,which is: PFRK21057
http://www.macombmarineparts.com/ad..._in_description=1&keywords=PFRK21057&x=5&y=11

item says it's a special order from them,but my log truck isn't going on the road this winter anyway,and that's what its for.so no hurry on my part.i just jb welded the leaky oem bowl for now so i can start the truck.

you guys know you can get napa/wix filters that eliminate a need for a bowl too right? i got thinking though,what then if i need a filter on the road? no one stocks those filters but all the parts stores pretty much have the oem style 7.3l filters on the shelf.im not one to carry any spare parts at all,so i like the idea of just running the metal bowl.during my google search though this thread popped up and i remember seeing it back along.glad i was reminded by my searching.i like the clear bowl,even though the dura lift traps most of the water there,it's just a good idea.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Napa/wix fuel filter. Part number 3417. I have been happy so far with it. That reminds me I need to drain it, and now I am going outside to install my dura lift and my moose junior pump.

vn1500g3

Reaction score
Sure, the all in one filter is a great option and I've used them in the past, however, it's nice to be able to visually see any sedimentation / contamination, e.g. water in the fuel. The single biggest reason I started using the clear fuel bowls was due to contamination. The previous owner of my truck used to put bio-diesel in the rear tank and then the truck would sit for long periods of time. The result of this was the fuel began to grow algae and contaminated the tank and fuel lines up to the fuel selector valve. When I would switch to the rear tank, all that goo would get pumped strait to the filter and would clog my filter completely in a few hundred miles. At first, being new to diesels, I didn't know what all the goo was in the sediment bowl. Eventually through research I figured out what it was. The ultimate fix was to completely replace the rear tank and run a bunch of algaeside through the system to finally stop it. This is an extreme case, I realize, but I see the clear bowl as cheap insurance for the future. Besides... isn't it cool to see that florescent green fuel??? :)

Remember Kids - Just say NO to spark plugs!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a water trap filter ahead of my stock fuel filter.I used to drain it and it never had anything in it.now I just change it every yr or so. Never check it anymore

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have genuine Lucas glass-bowl water-separating sediment bowls on our stuff.

First line of defense is a Goldenrod clear DEEP sediment-bowl/filter; these are wonderful.

The Goldenrod and Lucas together don't leave much for the O.E.M. filter to worry about, thus they last forever.

You can get the Lucas as a Lucas/CAV combination glass-bottom sediment-bowl with fuel-filter on top; just about every Perkins equipped tractor ever made will have these.

vn1500g3

Reaction score
I have genuine Lucas glass-bowl water-separating sediment bowls on our stuff.

First line of defense is a Goldenrod clear DEEP sediment-bowl/filter; these are wonderful.

The Goldenrod and Lucas together don't leave much for the O.E.M. filter to worry about, thus they last forever.

You can get the Lucas as a Lucas/CAV combination glass-bottom sediment-bowl with fuel-filter on top; just about every Perkins equipped tractor ever made will have these.

Do you happen to have any part numbers that we can look up for these sediment bowls? How about a picture or two? It would help those of us who would search for one.
Thanks for the information! At this point, anything is better than the factory set-up.

This is what I've found for the GoldenRod Filter Assembly:
http://www.jmesales.com/product/goldenrod-water-absorbing-fuel-filters,7231,5855.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

The price is reasonable too.

vn1500g3

Reaction score
Clear Sediment bowl - Continued

Here is the reason I chose to get a clear sediment bowl. This is from the last filter change before switching to the clear bowl.

This is the kind of crap that's been coming out of my tank(s). The rear tank is brand new now, however, this junk is still sloshing around in the fuel lines and probably the front tank as well (a visual of the front tank showed it to be relatively clean though).

So, while the all-in-one filter is convenient, this is the kind of stuff you don't see in the bottom of one of those filters. I'm just say'n.
Maybe I'm a little too ADD, but it's nice to be able to do a visual check of the fuel system to see if there is anything else going on beside a little water in the fuel. Again, it's an extreme example, but ultimately I think it makes the point.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have any part numbers that we can look up for these sediment bowls? How about a picture or two? It would help those of us who would search for one.
Thanks for the information! At this point, anything is better than the factory set-up.

This is what I've found for the GoldenRod Filter Assembly:
http://www.jmesales.com/product/goldenrod-water-absorbing-fuel-filters,7231,5855.htm

The price is reasonable too.

The picture of the Goldenrod is like the ones that I use; there are so many advantages to these that it would be hard to list them all, the obvious being DEEP, see-thru, bottom drain-valve, water-separating cartridges available, huge in/out openings, etc.

As for the LUCAS units that I have, I bought a case of SIX from an E-Bay surplus vendor that had a boat-load of them for cheap --- one-time deal.

I am not sure if I can find a part-number but I will look.

I improved both the Goldenrod and the LUCAS by drilling/tapping 1/8-NPT holes through the top and installing bleeder-screws to better purge out all the air whenever the need arises to service them.

LUCAS/CAV also makes a really neat add-on primer-pump that will pre-charge the filter/bowl with no hassle; I have not yet found these available from a US vendor, but intend to add them when I can get them in my possession.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
The picture of the Goldenrod is like the ones that I use; there are so many advantages to these that it would be hard to list them all, the obvious being DEEP, see-thru, bottom drain-valve, water-separating cartridges available, huge in/out openings, etc.

As for the LUCAS units that I have, I bought a case of SIX from an E-Bay surplus vendor that had a boat-load of them for cheap --- one-time deal.

I am not sure if I can find a part-number but I will look.

I improved both the Goldenrod and the LUCAS by drilling/tapping 1/8-NPT holes through the top and installing bleeder-screws to better purge out all the air whenever the need arises to service them.

LUCAS/CAV also makes a really neat add-on primer-pump that will pre-charge the filter/bowl with no hassle; I have not yet found these available from a US vendor, but intend to add them when I can get them in my possession.

Anyone got pictures of them actually set up in the engine bay on their truck?

Its hard to visualize everything off the top of my head, as they say a pictures is worth 1000 words.

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Artfd, I recognize your avatar picture! Thats Van Horn, TX. We always laugh at that sign "Diesel Fried Chicken". Anyway, any kind of glass or clear plastic fuel bowl would be great.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I also have genuine New Zealand "DE-BUG" magnetic "algae"-killing units as a last line of defense between everything else and the O.E.M. filter.

Those that have never used the DE-BUGs often cry "snake oil"; but, I was plagued with a terrible "algae" infestation in the three tanks on my truck; I had filter after filter to all-of-a-sudden plug-up and shut down the engine in the most inopportune places.

Nothing I tried worked until I added the DE-BUG and, to this day, I have not seen the least sign of "algae" in my fuel system.

One un-foreseen advantage to the DE-BUG is, due to it having a bunch of strategically located POWERFUL magnets, any stray bits of ferrous material will not get past the DE-BUG.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I also have genuine New Zealand "DE-BUG" magnetic "algae"-killing units as a last line of defense between everything else and the O.E.M. filter.

Those that have never used the DE-BUGs often cry "snake oil"; but, I was plagued with a terrible "algae" infestation in the three tanks on my truck; I had filter after filter to all-of-a-sudden plug-up and shut down the engine in the most inopportune places.

Nothing I tried worked until I added the DE-BUG and, to this day, I have not seen the least sign of "algae" in my fuel system.

One un-foreseen advantage to the DE-BUG is, due to it having a bunch of strategically located POWERFUL magnets, any stray bits of ferrous material will not get past the DE-BUG.

You already talked about it.
Now link it, and post pics. Lol:cool:

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a goldenrod before the electric pump mounted on the frame rail. It currently has a water block 15 micron filter in it, but I'd like to find a dedicated water separator and then put a 10 micron filter in the goldenrod. I have a 2 micron CAT filter in the engine compartment before the IP. The stock filter head is long gone.