cleaning steering wheel

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to put this in the IDI forum but I did not see where else on the site it fit in.

My 89' Bricknose steering wheel is made out of some foam rubber stuff. I've wiped it down with water and soap but it just gets sticky again after a short time.

I'm thinking it needs some real chemicals. Acetone comes to mind but will it harm the rubber?

Tumbleweed210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question...I tried Windex, still sticky after drying; and then diluted dish soap and water...still sticky after drying.
:frustrate AAaargh!!!

I wound up putting a Wally-World Wheel Cover on it.:Thumbs Up

Maybe someone will chime in shortly...with a better....solution.:rotflmao

Last edited:

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used degreaser on mine and it worked like a champ, don't get it on hard plastic like the gauge lens. It will etch it. But I used it on my steering wheel and my console, the console was so hard with grease, I couldn't chip it off with a pocket knife, the degreaser pulled it out and literally made it look new

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've used acetone and denatured alcohol before.
Good degreaser hand wipes work decent as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing I've used was some abrasive hand wipes, the kind that come presoaked in a tub for washing your hands and you pull them out the top (kinda like armorall wipes). I don't remember which brand they were but they worked great.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try GOJO hand-cleaner , it seems to work great for interior materials, plus you can take a wet towels to rinse it. you can use it on your dash, and all vinyl surfaces. Dead paint? same answer! Let me know how it works for you.................also you can slather it on the greasiest engine ( while its cool) as a degreaser. Let it set for 2 hours then hose it off!!! This stuff is like money, you can use it anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I use ;Poke
You must be registered for see images attach
A side benefit to this is that anyone who now wants to steal your rig, is probably someone you could beat up with both arms tied behind your back...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
try GOJO hand-cleaner , it seems to work great for interior materials, plus you can take a wet towels to rinse it. you can use it on your dash, and all vinyl surfaces. Dead paint? same answer! Let me know how it works for you.................also you can slather it on the greasiest engine ( while its cool) as a degreaser. Let it set for 2 hours then hose it off!!! This stuff is like money, you can use it anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only use the kind without pumice for all of the above.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing I've used was some abrasive hand wipes, the kind that come presoaked in a tub for washing your hands and you pull them out the top (kinda like armorall wipes). I don't remember which brand they were but they worked great.

I remembered to look while I was in the garage. These are what I was talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HM7RYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_wphuDbSJV55PN

Work great on the steering wheel and also very handy to have in the garage anyway!