Circulating coolant heater.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coolant heaters lose a lot of heat to the air. The block heater (a short coil in a freeze plug hole) heats the engine block more efficiently. Don't all IDI's come with a block heater?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fixing the reasons for hard starts is my suggestion. Could be a simple wire connection for the glow plugs. Same with the block heater. Patching it just to sell it is not a fair idea. Put youself in the buyers shoes. You buy the rig only to have hard oe no starts the next day. That could really **** off a buyer and you really don't know what they might do. Just as a simple suggestion check the main engine wire harness plug for corrosion around the 2 yellow wires that feeds the glow plug controller. That might be all thats keeping the plugs from working.. If they are not in working order. If they are ok maybe they are burned out. Then replace them... If they work fine you might have a fuel leak draining your fuel system at the injector pump. Hope this helps because just heating the coolant will tell the buyers lots and its just bandaiding the real problem... Good luck and I hope this helps you sell the rig.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know block heaters work better, and yes my truck has one, but it's not working.

All I'm looking for right now is something that will help the truck start a few times till it is sold.

If I remember right I took out the readiator drain fitting and put the bottom hose connection there and installed the top one in the radiator hose the goes to the cylinder head. The pipe fitting that came with the heater screwed right into the radiator. Worked beautifully...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my CUCV M1009 with the 6.2 and it had a bad block heater, so the owner had a bottle heater installed in an "H" fashion in the heater lines. Believe it or not, it works well. I know the glow plugs need replacing as they aren't heating like they used to, but at -15 before windchill and no shop, I'll work with the bottle heater for now.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
buy some of the battery pad heaters. They are cheap. wrap the IP and fuel filter. or build a fire under the truck, but do it carefully lol. you mean to tell me that ether didnt work? Or drain the oil out of the truck, bring it inside and heat it up and then put it back in the truck to help with it.

heated oil + 911 in the filter + ether = startup quickly.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have a magnetic oil pan heater when I was in a bind with bad glow plugs. POS!!! Don't waste your money on one. It might be fine for a rabbit or something that doesn't hold much oil. Even after beign plugged in for about 15 hours in real cold weather, I didn't notice a difference in starting

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't expect a out of it, I would probably have better luck buying a salamander and pointing it at the pan.

The magnetic pan heaters have so much space between the heat element and the pan that they don't do much good, now a stick on pad heater on an oil pan will work rather nicely to heat up oil and will get it HOT and the heat will spread through the block some , but nobody carries those things on the shelf