Check out this Scary Lift:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Now they chevy is just plain scary..... who in their right mind would think that would work.... again it needs more bracing to capture it....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Now they chevy is just plain scary..... who in their right mind would think that would work.... again it needs more bracing to capture it....

Agreed!

Man I wonder how loud that thing cackles with 2" exhaust exiting into 7" tips!:puke:

Darrin don't you even think about it.:backoff

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree that this type of lift can ever be safe. You have to take into account all of the forces (including lateral forces from steering/body roll) that can cause the blocks to move and the whole "house of cards" to come coming down. Guys like this and the ones blowing too much smoke are the ones that are going to get aftermarket modification of vehicles outlawed.

mR

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt that the "traction bar" type link to the front suspension was not rigid enough. I think if you hit something hard with it, that deal is going to give out, and the thing will just fold a wheel into the body. There is way too much leverage there. Plus, if one wheel goes up 1 foot, then that wheel must move forward as the link will become "longer". This will then cause the vehicle to turn, resulting in a rather violent bump steer situation. I seriously doubt the handling on this thing is going to be decent. As for the sub frame truck, how the heck do they steer it??

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
As for the sub frame truck, how the heck do they steer it??

I see a couple of chains on the truck where the steering box is supposed to be...maybe he has installed an aftermarket Mr. bean style setup lol

You must be registered for see images attach

I just hope it works better on that Chevy than it did for Mr. Bean.:rotflmao

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can think that lift is safe or well thought out. Anyone in the 4x4 world knows its a no no to run lift blocks in the front of a truck especially 12" worth of steel blocks stacked and welded... Thats just plane unsafe and stupid. If you have no concidiration for your life at least have some for the people around you. If that ever come apart on the road it could kill someone.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you're getting that high, whether you use lift blocks like that or just massively-arched springs, unless you got a real good panhard bar that axle is gonna feel scary every time you take a corner even at low speeds (well with the blocks it may simply break off and depart from the truck). If you do springs you don't really need the trailing arms, but with a lift like that you do need them, and he did install them, it's just that I feel their attachment points are poorly chosen and the size (and therefore strength) ain't proper for the application. But if he nicely overbuilt the blocks setup, moved the trailing arms down to the axle and way back on the frame, and lost the mile-long U-bolts in favor of two short pairs (per side, so total of 8 U-bolts) or even ditched the top U-bolts completely in favor of some good thick plate under and over the springs and regular hex-bolts (grade 10 tho) it can be made safe for driving on the road. Will it be good for the trails, hell no, but on the pavement and in a mud pit where suspension articulation is not much needed he will be alright. Again tho, this would require seriously overbuilding his current setup... As for the steering linkage, that's just downright scary, and needs totally redesigned, maybe even a hydro-ram setup.

Oh, and that Chevy, well, at least they didn't stack 2x4 wood as spacers...