Cheapish 8cyl p pump

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it won't make power. But there's no denying that any form of idi is less efficient than di, spend some time around older heavy equipment trying to go ball's out on a hot day and you'll see for yourself lol. This wasn't the point of the thread when I started it though, now hurry up with the p pump idi would you ;Poke haha

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it won't make power. But there's no denying that any form of idi is less efficient than di, spend some time around older heavy equipment trying to go ball's out on a hot day and you'll see for yourself lol. This wasn't the point of the thread when I started it though, now hurry up with the p pump idi would you ;Poke haha
No I agree with you don’t worry, it’s just a fun challenge to make an older less efficient design make just as much power.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. While I'm not a huge fan of them myself, they're old, loud and run on diesel......so good enough for me.
And they sound like a big-block V8 gasser, especially at low RPM under load! Sure, there's some diesel rattle, but I've had a couple of people wonder "Is this a diesel?"
PSDs have that distinctive clicking from the injectors.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its only money.
if youre content on driving a N/A then this thread really isn't the thread for you.
my engine build is now going into a 41 ford 1/2 ton truck for drag strip use.
ive got a lot of cash into my new engine. and its not about the quest of being cheap.
its about getting the most out of an IDI.
and if I destroy another block, I destroy another block. no skin off my nose...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
What trans do you plan on using?

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to my concerns.

Y'all brought up several angles I had not considered... Like bringing up the value of these which will keep an otherwise perfectly good IDI from uselessly rusting to Oblivion in junkyards, or worse, going to an ignominious end in an iron smelter.

The IDI, to me, is special for it's elegant design and it's loyalty to it's operator. I simply can not trust anything that has remote-control power to compel me to obey someone's arbitrary wishlist.

And I know the business and government regulatory environment has moved on...these won't ever be made anymore.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No I agree with you don’t worry, it’s just a fun challenge to make an older less efficient design make just as much power.
Personally, I have to agree with this entirely. I LOVE seeing the older "junky" machines do things that you "have to have" a modern one to do. You should have seen the way the others looked at me back in June when I pulled out a three wheeler to ride in the Colorado mountains. I was able to ride everywhere that they could on their newer, larger 4x4 ATVs and SxSs. They were thinking differently about me by the end of the first day. I like the challenge!

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
What exactly is a P pump and hiw much should I expect to pay for one ?
Will it hurt my stock high mileage factory turbo IDI ?
What mods need to be done to keep from blowing it up ?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10k+ for the pump swap, another 7-12k into the engine, 5k in turbo system, another 5 for trans building, it’s just money!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s going to be a game changer for the IDIs, the rotary pump drops fuel with rpms by design, and makes for peak hp around 2800 rpms in most cases, although the airflow and cam is not done making power at that rpm. With an in-line pump with a much flatter fuel curve, we can actually make the most of the idi airflow characteristics. Even a 200cc setting in a p pump is sure to make 100-200hp more than a rotary pump at the same fuel displacement.