Cheapish 8cyl p pump

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm sounds out of my price range as well. Well I have a IDIT and a 7.3 IDI that I need to do something with. Maybe I will find a couple nice looking pre 95 F350's and put them in there.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And this is why a NA IDI will do decently, but a NA Cummins... can barely get out of it's own way.
Had a CAC boot come off due to not tightening it down on a '99 ram... Up to about 25 it was fine, and it'd get to 45 without issues. Beyond that it was just... not going to go faster. I got to 60 down the highway about 5 miles later.

So, for low-end performance, that nice N/A head is good. Then, you just add a turbo for the high end and... :p Much better than the 7.3PSD which has zero power down low.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Hmm. 7.3 PSD no power down low...
my 96 has 800 ft lbs at 1,100 rpm and 1,000 ft lbs at 1,700 rpm. That is at the crank breaking in the engine. I guess it thinks it is a Mack.....

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
And this is why a NA IDI will do decently, but a NA Cummins... can barely get out of it's own way.
Had a CAC boot come off due to not tightening it down on a '99 ram... Up to about 25 it was fine, and it'd get to 45 without issues. Beyond that it was just... not going to go faster. I got to 60 down the highway about 5 miles later.

So, for low-end performance, that nice N/A head is good. Then, you just add a turbo for the high end and... :p Much better than the 7.3PSD which has zero power down low.

Actually NA cubic inches win so 444 cubic inches beats 360.

Also part of the reason your Cummins was such a dog with a blown IC boot was that it won’t fuel without boost. So you were just getting the fuel allowed before turbo boost so no smoke..

robert alston

Reaction score
a i am curious about the 9.0 liter with all the specs thats been given with the other engines like the idi and di and Cummins how does the 9.0 compare

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IH 9.0L or DV550 was intended to be a cost effective, fuel sipping alternative to the DT466. Think of it as the base engine, you had to order up to get the DT466. As far as I know, IH never built a turbo version, just NA. Normally rated between 165 and 185 Hp (about the same as the 6.9 IDI), it was used most commonly in medium duty (class 4, 5, and 6 trucks and school buses) and some marine applications. Like I said in my previous post, it is a bit of a red headed step child as the 6.9 / 7.3 IDI engines had similar performance, weighed less, and were cheaper to produce, the DT466 (and the smaller DT360) was a more powerful engine, with better durability. When the 9.0L was introduced, big gassers (534 Super Duty Fords, Red Diamond 501 IH, etc) were still competitive from a performance and cost standpoint, but the writing was on the wall with the oil embargo and other geo-politcal events starting to upset the oil markets. Maybe IH was trying to get ahead of it, but to me the 9.0L was an attempt to fill a market that wasn't really there.

Physically, a 9.0L weighs around 1200 lbs, and are slightly larger in all dimensions then a 6.9/7.3 I don't know why you would do it, but one should fit in a F350 with minimal cutting and welding.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

robert alston

Reaction score
bigger cubic inches should translate into more power in theory i like cubic inches 300 lbs though is a little more than i would like

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Well if a guy really wanted more cubic inches in a V8 just skip the IH 9.0 and go with a 3208 Cat. 10.4 liters 636 cu in and already proven to fit an F350 many times. Another engine some hated but way better than 9.0.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since it only had 19:1 compression, I would think that a 9.0 would take to a custom turbo very nicely.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. 7.3 PSD no power down low...
my 96 has 800 ft lbs at 1,100 rpm and 1,000 ft lbs at 1,700 rpm. That is at the crank breaking in the engine. I guess it thinks it is a Mack.....

I was gonna say my 97 makes way more low end power than my 86, if the 86 gets below about 1500 rpm you might as well shut the key off and push it because all it's gonna do is smoke and get hot lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online