Cheapish 8cyl p pump

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9.0L Block

You must be registered for see images attach

Hmm...I agree that its probably too big and heavy for us. Having said that, it looks like a well built engine. I see big gaps between the cylinders and 6 head bolts per cylinder. Seems to me, this engine is old school over-engineered. Just the way we like them.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work for a shop that maintained a small fleet of garbage trucks, some of them with 9l's. They had a very short life expectancy, and the trucks that they were put in had short nose's so repowers were not an option. They have a poor reputation for a reason, well built and over engineered they weren't.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work for a shop that maintained a small fleet of garbage trucks, some of them with 9l's. They had a very short life expectancy, and the trucks that they were put in had short nose's so repowers were not an option. They have a poor reputation for a reason, well built and over engineered they weren't.

What were the typical failure points?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also part of the reason your Cummins was such a dog with a blown IC boot was that it won’t fuel without boost. So you were just getting the fuel allowed before turbo boost so no smoke..
So, close to N/A fueling on an IDI, and even closer to one tuned for zero smoke....

I was gonna say my 97 makes way more low end power than my 86, if the 86 gets below about 1500 rpm you might as well shut the key off and push it because all it's gonna do is smoke and get hot lol.
Go install a Hypermax smoke puff limiter. It'll totally change the off-idle characteristics of that truck - you limit the zero-boost fueling down to what the engine can actually use(so you don't overfuel and make *less* power), and it'll be more responsive and much more powerful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online