changing front tank sending unit

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the fuel guage for the front tank is acting up so I'm guessing I need a new sending unit. Anybody that has changed it before have any tips. I'm guessing I'll just have to drop the tank and take it out of the top.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
not much to it really you need to see what type of retaining system is used on your fuel lines mine are just the little plastic clips you pull out then you can pull the fuel line off others require a speacial tool I have no exhaust to worry about so I sat up under the truck and disconnected all the lines before I let it down but other wise it was no big deal

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J.C.Whitney has a sending unit, for about $17, that can be made to fit on the Ford tank fitting with little trouble.

There is a lot of discussion about this in the 6.9 section over at the Drama Stop.

You will need to look back a couple of months.

I think it was Fellro86 that had a link to some real good pictures and instructions on doing this.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hav'nt change one on a Ford PU yet but I have changed many in the past on various other makes and models.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure it's empty before taking the tank down as it makes the job soooooooo much easier. Big difference between a 30 lb empty tank or a 160 lb full tank. Worse is the half full tank that lets the fuel move and shifts the weight around while you are trying to balance it.:eek:

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread both of my tanks readings on the guage started messing up at the same time front tank is solid untill 1/2 tank then bounces and stays pegged at full on back tank it just dies and sits on empty untill I get to 1/4 tank then it bounces. Sending units? or something else?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread both of my tanks readings on the guage started messing up at the same time front tank is solid untill 1/2 tank then bounces and stays pegged at full on back tank it just dies and sits on empty untill I get to 1/4 tank then it bounces. Sending units? or something else?

With the problem affecting both tanks starting at the same time it probably has something to do with the selector switch or a bad ground to it, not the sending units. That's where I would start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online