Champion Radiators for the IDI

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you could take it out and have someone repair it for a few dollars? Might be another option
Possibly, but finding someone to do it is the problem. No radiator shops in the area, so I would have to take it to one in the "City" (about 1-1/2 hour drive) leave it to be repaired, and then pick it back up when done. 2 round trips including fuel and my time probably adds up to more than a new Champion costs anyway. I don't know anybody with a tig welder, and even if I did, they couldn't pressure test the radiator after the repair either.

I did look at the Champion Warranty in detail. A "shop" must install the radiator with proper coolant, and this has to be documented, for the warranty to be in effect. If you install the radiator yourself at home, how can you properly document it? Most of these so called "lifetime" warranties are pretty useless, so I didn't put much stock in it when I bought the radiator.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a radiator shop. If the alum rad is leaking where the tubes meet the hedder its a gonor. We have not found a way to fix them to be dependable. The tubes are thin and the hedder thick so welding is not an option. Have champion send you a call tag for $10 and ship your leaker back.they will send out a replacement

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a radiator shop. If the alum rad is leaking where the tubes meet the hedder its a gonor. We have not found a way to fix them to be dependable. The tubes are thin and the hedder thick so welding is not an option. Have champion send you a call tag for $10 and ship your leaker back.they will send out a replacement
Thanks for that info, Chris! I will contact Champion and give that a try. Nothing to lose at this point. I suppose they won't care much for the JB Weld I applied over the seam to try and slow the leakLOL

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I need Radiator to. I decided to have mine rebuilt because when you pick it up, you'll know why it works. The cost is around $300 more, but for the peace of mind it's worth it! Mine is Leaking from top front tank seal so I soldered mine while I work through other problems. Thanks for the great Topic ;burnout;burnout

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a new Champion 4 row radiator. Cost was about $25 more than the 3 row, so I thought I would try it. Even if Champion decides to do something under warranty, the current radiator still has to come out of the truck. I will update once I have the 4 row installed. Thanks everybody for the helpful comments.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a new Champion 4 row radiator. Cost was about $25 more than the 3 row, so I thought I would try it. Even if Champion decides to do something under warranty, the current radiator still has to come out of the truck. I will update once I have the 4 row installed. Thanks everybody for the helpful comments.

This has nothing to do with the Champion radiators, but how are those 2" lifted Tuff Country leaf springs holding up for you?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fed Ex finally delivered the new Champion 4 row radiator yesterday afternoon. I installed it last night and so far, so good! I am glad to see that Champion is learning and has improved a few things since I purchased the 3 row radiator 4 years ago. Champion has apparently finally figured out that if you are shipping something bulky like a radiator, you had better use a box that will hold up. The box the radiator arrived in was heavier cardboard than what they previously used, but still could be heavier. The foam packing material is now high density ( I think polyurethane) foam, rather than the crappy white foam "bead board" they used to use. Champion now also supplies actual brass threaded hose barbs for the trans cooler, rather than the cheesy aluminum tubes they used to supply. Those tubes seeped trans fluid since new. No issues with installation, so I am happy with the radiator and the improvements that Champion has made. Time will tell though.

You must be registered for see images attach

SlippyRider

Reaction score
Fed Ex finally delivered the new Champion 4 row radiator yesterday afternoon. I installed it last night and so far, so good! I am glad to see that Champion is learning and has improved a few things since I purchased the 3 row radiator 4 years ago. Champion has apparently finally figured out that if you are shipping something bulky like a radiator, you had better use a box that will hold up. The box the radiator arrived in was heavier cardboard than what they previously used, but still could be heavier. The foam packing material is now high density ( I think polyurethane) foam, rather than the crappy white foam "bead board" they used to use. Champion now also supplies actual brass threaded hose barbs for the trans cooler, rather than the cheesy aluminum tubes they used to supply. Those tubes seeped trans fluid since new. No issues with installation, so I am happy with the radiator and the improvements that Champion has made. Time will tell though.

Did you order directly from Champion? I need a new radiator. During the replacement of my passenger side valve cover gasket, I recklessly put my weight on the rad as I contorted to scrape the original, petrified gasket away. I now have a leaky radiator.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you order directly from Champion? I need a new radiator. During the replacement of my passenger side valve cover gasket, I recklessly put my weight on the rad as I contorted to scrape the original, petrified gasket away. I now have a leaky radiator.

I ordered from an eBay seller, who then just had the radiator drop shipped directly from Champion.

Look up the seller "ALL ALUMINUM RADIATORS" on eBay.

This seller has 100% positive feedback and responded to my emailed questions quickly.

Last edited:

SlippyRider

Reaction score
I ordered from an eBay seller, who then just had the radiator drop shipped directly from Champion.

Look up the seller "ALL ALUMINUM RADIATORS" on eBay.

This seller has 100% positive feedback
and responded to my emailed questions quickly.

Awesome. That's what I was looking at, an eBay seller. Thanks for the info, Sir.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one from Jeg's a year or so ago. First one came in damaged, sent them a pic and had a email back and confirmation for a new one shipping to me in less than an hour. Awesome customer service.. and they price match without having to call them and wheel and deal...

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fit in nicely and has been great. I got the aluminum 4 row and love it. No issues as of yet.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my new Champion 4 row MC 1165 radiator is already already leaking!-cuss
It is leaking at 4 or 5 of the lower core joints at the lower tank on the driver's side. This does not make me happy! Damn Chinese radiators:puke:. I am about ready to run down to the parts store and buy a plastic tanked radiator, as it really can't be any worse. Ugh - bad way to start the year, but if this is the worst that happens to me this year, the year will have been a good one. Have to keep things in perspective.