CDR clean or replace?

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read some have cleaned the CDR valve. I pulled mine off today because I noticed some oil on the soupbowl. I can blow air through both holes, no restriction when blowing on either side. I'm thinking a new one is what is needed. When I took it out there is a tube that goes in to the valley pan, does this tube pull off the unit or does the new one come with it? I didn't get forceful but the tube wouldn't just slip off.

I finally got the roof on my shop that I've been building so I can now work on the truck in the dry if it's raining and also get out of the blistering sun down here in Texas. So be prepared I will be asking a lot of questions in the upcoming days. I need to have the truck in tip top shape by Wed. night. Hope everyone is checking the forum on the 4th as that's when most of the work will be done. I have to replace brake pads, bleed brakes, install new injectors, new return lines, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, oil change, check tranny fluid, check rear end fluid, install oil pressure gauge, install pyrometer, may put on new shocks. Man I hope I can get it all done.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
X2 on replace. But try cleaning it while you're waiting on your new one, not going to hurt it. =P

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd thrown is back on. Ever taken one apart? It's a can with a diaphragm. The only time it'll ever do anything but be a can sitting there is if the intake is plugged, then the diaphram *should* close. But if you're getting that kind of intake vacuum you got major problems.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could clean it and make sure you shake the CDR. If it rattles it still works, if no sound than replace.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its a replacement part and should be replaced about every 40,000 miles. Ford or international only part too but uhaul center sells them on ebay sometimes. Just gotta watch for them.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you clean it, make absolutely sure it is dry before you reinstall it. Any cleaning solvent left in it may become fuel for the engine causing an engine overspeed condition.

Dave