Cavitation evidence pic?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out. I don't know if cavitation evidence is visible on the inside of a cylinder, but what do you think? Very suspect however. 85 6.9, 170,000 miles cylinder #2
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Not sure who made that article.
Couple members by the name of Eric though. @yARIC008 @'94IDITurbo7.3

I wrote that article back in 2007. I did the test basically as the pictures show. Bolted the heads back on, oil cooler, and blocked all the ports off with whatever make shift stuff i had, then just through one of the coolant ports on the block, set the pressure reg to 13 psi compressor, then pushed my rubber tipped pressure deal onto the hole and pulled the trigger.

The block filled with water didnt leak until there was pressure. It was a tiny hole.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would installing the heads with injectors, filling the block with water and injecting air into the glow plug holes yield any results? I figure the top of the thermostat port would be the highest point and if the water is to the very top any cylinder breach would cause the water to react. I figure the air pressure should blow the piston to the bottom of the cylinder allowing for a full cylinder pressurization. Bad idea? Not feasable? I'd rather not yank the slugs.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try sticking a piece of wire thru what appears to be a hole, if it goes thru, then it's cavitated, also just try and blow some compressed air thru there.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not yank the slugs

Even if it's not cavitation, I'd want to know what caused that. Possibly a ring rusting to the cylinder wall from sitting for a very long time? Personally I think I would be pulling that piston to check the rings at a minimum. Same with any other cylinders that looked like that. If you can feel any roughness where that pitting is, doesn't it seem like it would have some effect on the rings?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinnest strands of wire did not penetrate. I tried blowing air through the holes, no sound from inside the block. I filled the cylinder with water and kept the piston just below the suspect areas and shined a light down the coolant passages and didn't see any water, yet. I'll leave it sit overnight. The engine did sit since last May. I can most certainly pull a piston tomorrow.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you run a dye penetrant through it? We use that stuff to find suspect welds at work. It seems to leech it's way through the tiniest of crack.

I would wonder about putting piston up under suspect area. Use modeling clay or type stuff to make a dam so the dye penetrant sits by that suspect area. See if you see the pentrant come through into the water jacket. Or if the level goes down.