Checking for Cavitation on 7.3 IDI-T Block - Sonic Test?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1994 7.3 IDI turbo that I bought to build and install in my '87 F350 DRW CCLB. The engine was turning over, but not running when I bought it. No previous history. Do not know how many miles it has.

If the bores check out ok on taper, I plan to do a garage rebuild (new rings, bearings, etc, and ball hone on the cylinders), but I'm worried about the potential for cavitation damage.

Has anyone done a sonic test in the garage? If so, any recommendation on a tester? Or if someone has one they could rent out, that would work, too.

Thanks,

Scott

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sonic testers are not good at picking up the small divots and pits created by coolant cavitation. You would have to get the sensor positioned directly over a divot that was larger than coverage area of the soundwaves. This is very difficult, if not impossible to do. If you are tearing it down, you are better off having the block hot tanked and cleaned thoroughly before taking a look at the cylinder walls with a bore scope through the water jacket holes in the deck and the freeze plugs in the side of the block.

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I have a 1994 7.3 IDI turbo that I bought to build and install in my '87 F350 DRW CCLB. The engine was turning over, but not running when I bought it. No previous history. Do not know how many miles it has.

If the bores check out ok on taper, I plan to do a garage rebuild (new rings, bearings, etc, and ball hone on the cylinders), but I'm worried about the potential for cavitation damage.

Has anyone done a sonic test in the garage? If so, any recommendation on a tester? Or if someone has one they could rent out, that would work, too.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott,

Cavitation is real but very uncommon. What I have seen is it leaves a stain (Rust/corrosion stain, no corrosion or pitting.) on the cylinder wall under where the pinhole leak is. So before hot tanking take a close look at your cylinders. No odd stains you should be ok.

By 94 it was a known issue so likely PO’s where keeping up with sca’s.

Last edited:

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Cavitation is real but very uncommon. What I have seen is it leaves a stain (Rust/corrosion stain, no corrosion or pitting.) on the cylinder wall under where the pinhole leak is. So before hot tanking take a close look at your cylinders. No odd stains you should be ok.

By the 94 it was a known issue so likely PO’s where keeping up with sca’s.

Thanks for the input, Bart. I'll have it torn down soon, so I'll check the cylinder walls for evidence of leaks.

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online