Cant get fan clutch off!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I am trying to remove my water pump and I can't get the fan clutch off. IS the nut standard or reverse thread? 1993 F-250, IDI 7.3.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to steer you wrong, but it just might be left hand thread. Smack the wrench with a hammer. A couple good whacks and it should come loose. If not, go the other way.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to steer you wrong, but it just might be left hand thread. Smack the wrench with a hammer. A couple good whacks and it should come loose. If not, go the other way.
+1 on reverse thread. smack wrench with hammer in the direction of the driver's side fender. having all the belts on when doing this is a big bonus.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It's really hard to hold 2 wrenchs and a hammer with 2 hands. I got the wife to come out and help me though and we got it off(was reverse thread btw). This is a terrible design, and now I have worry that if I dont get it tight enough the fan may spin off. I thought you needed some kind of education to be an engineer.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yeah, the fan clutch is a beast! I thought I was going to accidentally cut myself so I put on welding gloves just to be sure! NOT fun.....(sidde note I replaced mine thinking it was my overheating culprit but it was my radiator instead...)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually if you look on top of the fan shroud it says "reverse thread" or something like that. Put some red Loctite on the threads upon reassembly, then reef on the wrenches like no tomorrow.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The special flat wrench that I bought for removing the fan clutch, has a 1/2" square hole at the end of the handle for using a tourque wrench or breaker bar. I used a ratchet with a big pipe slid over it and tightened the hell out of it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T USE RED LOCTITE if you have to take it off again you will have to heat it. Use BLUE LOCTITE. And then only a drop or two. Only the PSD's are right hand threads, they rotate in the opposite direction.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I had my wife holding the fan bolt wrench with a breaker bar while I used a very large adjustable wrench with a ratchet through the end stuck in the alternator bracket to hold it in place. The wrench in the kit for the nut was a little big and was rounding it off. Guess I'll grab some blue loctite as well.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T USE RED LOCTITE if you have to take it off again you will have to heat it. Use BLUE LOCTITE. And then only a drop or two. Only the PSD's are right hand threads, they rotate in the opposite direction.

Bill, the fan shaft does get hot through the water pump, wouldn't that mess up the blue loctite?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The blue loctite will handle the heat just fine. I had to use a pipe wrench that was "customized" to get my fan off when I did the water pump last summer. Took me about an hour to get it un-stuck.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I've done a few and never used locktite. Just get it on as tight as you can, then give it a wack with the same hammer you used to loosen it to set the threads goodintight.LOL

Tom

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen one come loose by hand after a "light"LOL collision that folded the radiator and front-end around the engine. When i finally got everything loose and got the radiator pulled out the fan and clutch fell out when I touched it. I am not sure I would recommend that route for a truck you intend to drive every again though.