Can you use 7.3 head gaskets on a 6.9?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My dad has a set of new 7.3 felpro head gaskets and I was wondering if I could use them on my 6.9?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I would think they'd be the same. But maybe Im wrong. Any head gasket has a bigger bore than the cylinder. But maybe this is a completely different ball game.

suv7734

Reaction score
From the Felpro numbers I come up with they are two completely different gaskets unfortunately -cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt holes would also be wrong as would some slight changes in the water and oil passages and cutouts. A shame...I wouldn't cut corners here. It would be an interesting experiment, but not on the truck you're taking to school and want to last a few hundred thousand miles.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Got me a full FelPro head set. I dont know how you guys can buy these valley pans online and have them shipped to you because I had to take one back because it was smashed so badly.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they treat them nicely during shipping, otherwise you will have that problem I presume. Glad you got the fel-pro set, it has everything, ecept the valley pan, even valve stem seals. Not sure I'd use them though, check with these guys. Personally, having the truck burn oil doesn't bother me nearly as much as having to worry about it swallowing a valve as some of the newer 7.3s did with that positive style seal.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Exactly, thats why Im going to install the old type seals. I dont really care that much about burning a little oil. But when its as bad as it is right now, it just is flat out embarrassing! lol

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you said about a quart in 50 miles...that's a bit too much I guess. I think if it can hold a quart for at least 300-400 miles that's not too bad for high mileage, but since you are building this engine up, new rings etc, I'd expect better once its broken in. Strangely, my truck has had less appetite for oil since I installed the turbo, it may have something to do with the relocation of the CDR valve, who knows, but at 192,000 miles I'm using about 2 quarts between 2500-3500 mile oil change intervals. fair to good as far as I'm concerned. Good luck and keep us posted.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny you mention the damaged valley pans. I have ordered two from Nothern Autoparts in the past year. Both came damaged. Each time I called and told them this they had one shipped from a local Felpro dealer about 15 miles from my home. Otherwise they came from Northern autoparts in Ohio... Go figure.... Something tells me the UPS handlers are the problem....:dunno

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall I'd say yes the package handlers are the whole problem. Seems everyone but UPS understands this. I've tried buying more stuff locally lately to cut down on the shipping and associated headaches but seems that all the stores have a bend over for me policy in place. I'm on the fence about mail order. Cheaper for sure but at what cost.cookoo