Can you remove heads in truck with studs installed

Robm45497

Reaction score
hello I am wondering if on a 1994 f350 if you can get the heads off with studs installed.im trying to make a plan to see if I should pull the motor or just remove heads in the truck thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Easier to pull it.
But no, not with them installed. You will have to unscrew them. And removing part of the hvac both will make it easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i thought it was possible if you leave the studs in the head being held up by an oring or rubber band. you have to sort of slide things into place. not fun but doable.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Can it be done, yes. It will be much easier to pull the engine, much less swearing involved. That said, if you don't have $ or access to an engine lift, it could be your only option. You will hate the rear studs. Also, a second set of hands to lift the heads off is highly advised.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but as already posted. Its a near impossible job pulling heads in frame. How do you know your engine has studs? Even if you know this is a studded engine removing heads in frame needs the ac box removed. Then the rear bolts or studs need to be help up and the pushrods near the back need the same being held up.Removing the engine is the simple way to do this job.

Robm45497

Reaction score
I know it has studs because it is a relative new engine that i did. When i was driving thru Montana last month a brand new radiator hose blew as i was doing about 75 or 80 and no shoulder to pull off on. The hose had a soft spot or a flaw. So i had a little seepage at the edge of the head so i pulled the valve covers and re torqued the heads and i thought that it was ok. Last weekend i notice a little more seepage so now i have to pull the engine.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it has studs because it is a relative new engine that i did. When i was driving thru Montana last month a brand new radiator hose blew as i was doing about 75 or 80 and no shoulder to pull off on. The hose had a soft spot or a flaw. So i had a little seepage at the edge of the head so i pulled the valve covers and re torqued the heads and i thought that it was ok. Last weekend i notice a little more seepage so now i have to pull the engine.
What this no shoulders in MT, is the white line not supposed to painted on the grass?

Robm45497

Reaction score
What this no shoulders in MT, is the white line not supposed to painted on the grass?
Yea i was headed from Niarada headed south by lonepine and hot springs with traffic and i was looking for a place to pull off without getting anyone in a accident because 80 isn't fast enough for some people hahaha