can use these 4x4 chevy axles to convert my F250?

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can i use these 4x4 chevy axles to convert my F250?

anyone know if these will work? they're off a '78 chevy and they're dirt cheap, I'd like to convert my '85 F250 2wd.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, the front axle pinion is on the wrong side.
But with enough liquid metal and blue wrench, anything can be done.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fords have correct DRIVERS SIDE carrier Chev is passenger side.

Witjout tons of fab they wont work..plus finding a pass side tcase to fit a ford coukd be fun

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fords have correct DRIVERS SIDE carrier Chev is passenger side.

Witjout tons of fab they wont work..plus finding a pass side tcase to fit a ford coukd be fun

damn, just my luck, i don't think i want to have that much fun! thanks for the info though---

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What chassis is that Chevy, 3/4-ton? The front axle is meh then, it's the same 10-bolt used in halftons but with 8-lug outers. If that was a 1-ton D60 tho, i'd try to make it work.

Transfer case is easy enough, use a divorced-mount NP 205 out of either GM or Dodge truck, both will be passenger-side drop axles and t-cases. And you can keep your existing transmission, instead of looking for a 4x4-specific one. But you will have to do exhaust work to clear the t-case and the front shaft.

Then again, if you want cheap and bolt-on, there is always the D50 Ford put in the F250s. Actually the true bolt-on will be the D44 HD, after some work at on the front of the frame horns to fit the leaf spring shackles. But the D50 is much stronger.

And you don't really need to replace your rear axle. Just get a front axle which has the same gear ration as the rear you have now. Unless you decide to do the '05+ Superduty axles swap, then you'll need both front and rear. Won't be cheap, but it's easy and the ride is great. Not so much with any leaf-sprung front axle.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What chassis is that Chevy, 3/4-ton? The front axle is meh then, it's the same 10-bolt used in halftons but with 8-lug outers. If that was a 1-ton D60 tho, i'd try to make it work.

Transfer case is easy enough, use a divorced-mount NP 205 out of either GM or Dodge truck, both will be passenger-side drop axles and t-cases. And you can keep your existing transmission, instead of looking for a 4x4-specific one. But you will have to do exhaust work to clear the t-case and the front shaft.

Then again, if you want cheap and bolt-on, there is always the D50 Ford put in the F250s. Actually the true bolt-on will be the D44 HD, after some work at on the front of the frame horns to fit the leaf spring shackles. But the D50 is much stronger.

And you don't really need to replace your rear axle. Just get a front axle which has the same gear ration as the rear you have now. Unless you decide to do the '05+ Superduty axles swap, then you'll need both front and rear. Won't be cheap, but it's easy and the ride is great. Not so much with any leaf-sprung front axle.

it's a 3/4 ton so won't be worth the hassle. thanks for the info though, definitely looking to make my truck into 4x4 as it's rust free, gonna keep my eyes peeled for a superduty donor!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt use a D44 front on our diesels.
however, i have a divorced transfer case from a 1971 international Travelall
it is a passenger side drop transfer...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt use a D44 front on our diesels.
I concur. Not because it's a bad axle, or weak (unless you do stupid things with it), but the weight of the engine is IMHO a bit ******* the smaller ball joints. D50s have D60-sized outers, which is what supports the weight of the truck, much better suited for our heavy trucks. Especially when one starts adding stuff like plows or bumpers and winches...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin