CAN U TELL ME WHAT THESE SENSORS DO

ltg

Reaction score
I have my truck dismantled and i can now see some things i have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what these are and what they do? thanks

Attachments

• d-s sender1.jpg
    d-s sender1.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 139

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That is the over temp switch found in the drivers side head front. It closes and grounds out the dash gauge when the coolant temp reaches 242 degrees. Also known as the "check engine lite"... You really never wnat to see this lite on. Take the wire off the switch and ground it and watch the dash gauge peg over past the "L" in NORMAL.... It will do this when the coolant is hot or cold grounding the wire...

ltg

Reaction score
no.1 was behind the bracket that holds fuel filter/ water separator. thanks

Attachments

• thermostat housing senders.jpg
    thermostat housing senders.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 59
  • d-s t-cover senders.jpg
    d-s t-cover senders.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 39

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
#1 is i have NO IDEALOL i have always wondered what it is.

#2 is the temp sensor for the cold advance/high idle.

#3 is the rpm sensor. makes the tach on the dash work.

#4 is the temp gauge sending unit.

#5 is the temp light sending unit.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't make out what #1 is, but #2 is the cold start temp switch. When the engine is cold, this switch connects these two wires and it send power to the cold start wire on the injection pump, and also sends power to the fast idle solenoid.

ltg

Reaction score
yeah no. 1 looked like it was all black and when i wiped it real clean it became transparent on the front end being able to see a little circuit board or something in there.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Here are some pics for you.

Showing your #1 (oops, didn't show it like i though it did. BTW, it is not supposed to hold your throttle openLOL:eek:)
You must be registered for see images attach

ltg

Reaction score
Thank you all, I we dont get it here then i will look in my books to try to se what no. 1 is

ltg

Reaction score
ok my boy chuckster57 on the dieselstop.com got no.1 he said IIRC the electronic part is a temp sensor for the fuel heater. ok thanks again brothers.

ltg

Reaction score
9 SRW crewcab, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, 8 speed BTS E4OD with a Gear Vendors, Shifts smooth and positive with any load on it. Triple disc torque converter has 150 square inches of friction material, stock has just 25 square inches of material.Transcold Carrier pump helping out Moose Pump and just loven it. 4 inch Straight piped, hydroboost with a 1 5/16 inch master cylinder. 7.3 turbo upgraded motor, ported heads, intake & exhaust manifolds. ARP studs. Block sleeved on all 8. Mahle turbo pistons milled, are 24 to 26 thousands above the deck, then ceramic coated with Tech Line CBX. Line bored and balanced. Decked block. Each piston is 1/4 and 1/3rd gram of each others weight. "BB" injectors. Custom Rodney Red aluminum radiator and running cool. Now it needs my new Hypermax intercooler to help out the famous Moose Pump and a set of Moose Injecters thrown in just for giggles...Double FatMat inside of the crewcab... Nice and quiet too...

bro that sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Theblack box (#1) is the cold idle,timing advance" brain"

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This my help you out some. I can't tell if this has been posted already work blocks things like photobucket.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    248.4 KB · Views: 84