can soot hurt my aluminum wheel???

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so this might be a stupid thread but i was told today by somebody that if i didnt clean my soot off my wheel that it will leave pits in the aluminum!!!is this true? i hope its not cause i like my soot on my wheel:sly

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. Soot is VERY acidic. It ruined all the aluminum diamond plate on my 2000.

It is not good for the paint either

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean them, then coat the wheels with bedliner, if you like them black.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I been fighting to keep it off the back corner of my dually. Put a tip on to get it out farther and that just made it worse

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
my pipes in frunt of my back wheel snaponprofile

I use to think having the exhaust exit before the wheel was "cool" but after putting an exhaust like that on my truck, I'm starting to dislike even looking at it, makes it look like you ran out of money half way through and that's all you could get.

When I get another truck, it's getting a new exhaust in the stock location.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I use to think having the exhaust exit before the wheel was "cool" but after putting an exhaust like that on my truck, I'm starting to dislike even looking at it, makes it look like you ran out of money half way through and that's all you could get.

When I get another truck, it's getting a new exhaust in the stock location.

Ahmen to that!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Maybe it's just because I don't care much for sticking out, but I prefer to keep most things on a vehicle's appearance stock, the location of the exhaust being one of them. Would I put on a bigger exhaust? Yes. In a different location? No. I really don't care at all for stacks. It's not a big rig. But that's just my opinion.

It's also why I keep my truck at stock height. Don't care too much for the lifted truck with 37's look. Still running stock height with 235/85/16's on steelies with the factory hubcaps.

I do have a question though. Those of you who tow boats, what do you do to keep the soot off of the boat?

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my camper once 700 miles and the whole thing was covered in soot and oil. It was a pain to get off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online