Can I use my head gasket again???

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the broken head bolt has been removed, I want to get everyone's thoughts on reusing my head gasket..
Here's the situation, when the bolt broke that head was torqued to 90 ft lbs. and I was starting the line sequence at 100 ft lbs. (Was the second bolt)
Curious if the gasket has been "crushed" beyond reusing..???
I'm leaning towards a new one, really don't feel like doing this all again a few months down the road.
But I'm always looking to keep my cost low...??
Advance Auto has em for $34.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
get new ones. think about how much work it is to tear the whole thing down to change gaskets. now ask your self if you want to do that again right after putting it all back together. yeah, the gaskets are kind of expensive but.........

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to highly suggest getting a new gasket. When I worked in a factory installing heads on 7.3 DI if we had to remove the head for any reason once we started the torque sequence we replaced the head gasket. $34 is a cheap piece if mind to not have your truck go down soon after getting it running

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What brand is the $34.00 gasket and is that for just one head or two heads. You probably wont have any issues but to be sure you might just bite the bulet and replace them. Never a good feeling when you have to redo your work.. Thats kind of like kicking yourself in the backside...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand is the $34.00 gasket and is that for just one head or two heads. You probably wont have any issues but to be sure you might just bite the bulet and replace them. Never a good feeling when you have to redo your work.. Thats kind of like kicking yourself in the backside...

Had to look again, Fel Pro. Just one gasket.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Replace...intake valley pan is more than that if you have to pull it back apart, not to mention time, frustration, beer money, etc for the second go around. Blood pressure meds aren't cheap either! lol

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything past finger tight is going to deform the gasket..... Once it's deformed its not going to work quite right. Chances are quite good that you could do it and it'd work, but who know for how long? May very well last the life of the truck.... but do you want to gamble that? Willing to risk being stranded and a potential motor rebuild to save $35???

Trust me, I've had my share of things come back around and bite me in the a$$..... not worth it!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our head gaskets are barely great when new and treated right. I'd never consider re-using one under any condition. Even if I accidentally stepped on one before installing!