Can I Use a Chevy Hydroboost?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the title says, I can pick it all up for FREE! Has anyone done this? I have read through the tech articles and there is no mention of this. Its off an 84 chevy 1 ton that had a 6.2 diesel in it. What else would I need? Thanks for the input.;Sweet

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
It will need some minor tweaks but I am pretty sure others have done it fine... search the actual forums and not just the tech sections. I believe at minimum you need a spacer plate to move the master forward a little.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was another member, his screen name begins with an M, that used a chevy hydroboost unit. Had to use washers for spacers but it works fine.

I was thinking about doing this as well until I found a ford unit.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I mounted the chevy hydroboost to the truck last night and got the master cylinder back on. I modified the pushrod using part of the ford and chevy so I didnt have to space the hydroboost unit out from the firewall. I have a question though, Does anyone know if the ford lines have the same fitting as the chevy? It would be nice to just be able to buy new ford lines. Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I mentioned that, yes they will fit, and that is exactly what I did in my truck - bought new pressure lines for an F-Superduty (you need an '89 model for your truck) and they bolted right into the Chevy hydroboost. You can also but an F-Superduty return line for it, but running bulk hose from the parts store works just as good since it's a low pressure line.

On another not, how are you going to address the issue of having two return lines (one from the hydroboost and the factory one from the steering gear box) but only one reurn port on the PS pump? I've seen people T-ee the return lines together, but what I'd suggest that you do is buy a new reservoir for an '89 F-Superduty PS pump, or heck just buy a reman PS pump for an '89 F-Superduty, either way the reservoir will have two return ports then, one in the bottom like you have now (for the steering gear box line) and there will be one on the top in front of the fill neck (for the hydroboost return line).

About the pedal pushrods, did you cut and weld them together? Did you make sure there's no binding in the linkage where it meets the hydroboost unit when the pedal is pushed to the floor? And about the master cylinder, did you have to slip a spacer inside its bore to make up for the shorter plunger the Chevy hydroboost has?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just wanna make sure you got it all covered before you hit the road, it's the most important safety system on the truck after all and especially with conversions like that you simply cannot afford any mistakes or overlooked things...

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing you said would make me think your a jerk, all great things to address, No there is no binding in the push rod with the pedal to the floor, I bought a remand power steering pump for the 89 f-super. As far as the modification goes on the push rod I used the original Chevy end that goes into the hydro-boost and cut it off about 1/3 of the way up, I took some measurements and then chucked the ford end in my lathe, I center-drilled it so it would slide right over about 3/4 of an inch of the Chevy rod and then welded the two together. Also when I mounted the hydro-boost itself i made a template and drilled new holes so the push rod coming out of the booster was in the same spot as the vacuum assist one was. I did have to slip a piece in my master to take up the slack just like you did. I cut the end off of the old vacuum booster rod and put it in there. I took it out for a pretty good test drive and all I can say is WOW What a difference. I would highly recommend Hydro to anyone. Thanks for all the help:D

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm...pin location on the hydro boost pedals is usually up about 3/4 inch from vacuum boosted trucks...just saying....

Sounds like it's coming together nicely...for short term..you can either T into the existing return line on the PS line or in the upper portion of the reservoir mount a hose barb and either JJB weld it or get one that you can have a nice nut on the inside of the reservoir fill area with and fab that up someway

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great! I have my Chevy setup. and was wondering about the hoses and pump. Especially the pump.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm...pin location on the hydro boost pedals is usually up about 3/4 inch from vacuum boosted trucks...just saying....
This is true for Ford hydroboost units, however GM ones use a different mounting plate for the firewall and while its stud locations are near-perfect match for the Ford firewall the actual booster may very well sit higher or lower compared to the F-Superduty unit - if it's higher on the firewall then pushrod pin would need to be moved further up the pedal, if the booster sits lower one could possibly get off the hook easy and not move the pin at all - it all depends on what donor truck the GM hydroboost came from. In my case with the '80s 1-ton GM hydro the booster did in fact end up higher on the firewall than the vacuum one, likely in the same general spot as the F-superduty booster, and so I had the following choices:

a) cut the pedal end off the Chevy pushrod and the booster end off the factory ford pushrod, stack the two pushrods on top of each other so the Chevy is on top and Ford on the bottom, slide them in-out till their combined length puts the pedal where I wanted it, then weld them together, thus ending up with an offset pushrod that is the proper length to not need firewall spacers and can utilize factory vacuum-booster pedal as is.

b) move the pushrod pin higher on the pedal (like you did IIRC), then making a firewall spacer to take up the extra length of the Chevy pushrod.

c) space booster away from firewall while tilting it back some to make pushrod length work right while at the same time point said pushrod straight at the factory pedal pin so no alterations in its height are needed.

I went with option c) for simplicity sake and also for ease of locating replacement/spare parts should the need arises - I can grab a hydro from just about any pre-OBS (so mid-70s to mid-80s) fullsize GM truck and bolt it on and go. Of course some boosters provide better assist than others, the boss being IIRC one from a 454-powered 1-ton dually (RPO code JB8), but in my experience with factory-size tires even a booster from a diesel suburban is plenty strong to lock up the four rear wheels on hot and dry pavement despite the 5-6k of weight directly over that axle...

This is great! I have my Chevy setup. and was wondering about the hoses and pump. Especially the pump.
If you manage to find a pump bracket from a diesel van with your engine you could use the GM pump that went with your hydro, or even a better one. I have said bracket, and plan on using it with whatever GM pump has 10k GVW rating or more, and even then there is still choices as far as tank/reservoir setup goes - some have smaller pump tank but with external reservoir above it, some have larger pump tank and two return lines, and IIRC there is even a setup that has both the big tank and the remote reservoir! Do your research, or wait on me to be the guinea pig - your call, however please be aware that my inspiration/motivation to do ANY work on my vehicles is currently beyond non-existent, so it may be quite a while before I get around to finishing this project properly. Also, fwiw, the C2 pump you currently have can be tweaked for somewhat better performance - you'll need the pressure regulator valve and spring (actually just the spring, but swapping them in pairs is easier) from a rack-and-pinion passenger car such as a Fox-body Mustang or a Lincoln Mark 7 LSC to bump up the line pressure, and you can drill the pump discharge fitting port a bit larger for more flow as well.

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all good to know!

As for waiting for someone else to be a guinea pig, well if I have the time and parts I will just do it myself and report back. I'm not much for waiting.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c) space booster away from firewall while tilting it back some to make pushrod length work right while at the same time point said pushrod straight at the factory pedal pin so no alterations in its height are needed.

Picture of spacer? Was this machined? have the angle? or something cut on a bandsaw to fit "close-enough"?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picture of spacer? Was this machined? have the angle? or something cut on a bandsaw to fit "close-enough"?
Lathe actually, not bandsaw - I used cylindrical spacers, think of them as thick-walled sleeves around the bolts that hold the booster to the firewall. Pics won't do you any good cause the gap between the booster and firewall was filled with expanding insulation foam which was then trimmed and painted black to match the booster so it looks like one big square spacer now, but I was able to take some measurements for you - upper spacer sleeves are exactly 2" long, lower ones are 2-1/4" long. The 1/4" difference is what tilts the booster back so its pushrod points straight at the pedal pin. And you are correct in that no exact science went into figuring geometry of my setup, but it wasn't just slapped together with junk that happened to be laying around either - either way it has some ridiculous mileage on it already, with absolutely no issues.

IIRC, he used flatwashers to get the spacing he needed.
You are partially correct, flat washers were indeed used initially while trying to get the pedal height I wanted (IIRC slightly higher than factory) - once I was comfortable with pedal position I turned some solid spacer and ditched the washer stacks. So the dimensions given above are what works for me, and I think they also make a good starting point - from there if you want the pedal higher you trim the spacers down (brings booster closer to the firewall), and if you want it lower spacers need to be longer (add a washer or two behind them to move booster further away from firewall). I would caution against going too low on the pedal even if you have long legs, as should you blow a brake line the pedal will sink down more than normal and if you don't have that extra distance between firewall and pedal the pedal will bottom out before the master is able to built up the necessary pressure to slow your truck down on just one brake circuit in a timely manner. Also by all means don't just settle for simple spacer sleeves, if you have the ability to build and actual solid spacer go for it - my spacer sleeves are actually linked vertically in pairs to add rigidity against vertical loads from the weight of the booster and master cylinder, and I'd highly suggest to anyone who thinks of using the GM booster to do at least that as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance