Can I turn up the pump (read for details)?

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am just wondering if I can safely turn up the pump around the width of a dime or so on my 94 (truck in sig). It is a factory turbo, and I get absolutely no smoke at anly level of throttle or rpm. I also feel absoltely zero kick from the turbo (I should be able to feel some power difference after the turbo spools, shouldn't I), and this makes me think that I need a little more fuel. I am by no means wanting to "roll coal", just wanting to get a little more umph! I don't have a pyro or boost gauge yet, and I know I should, but they are so expensive! If I turn the pump up too much I know that bad things happen, but wouldn't I visibly see some "black" coming out of the tailpipe before I hurt things? Just thought I would ask, and yes I will be getting a set of gauges fairly quickly (just itchin to fiddle with things today;p) Cole

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Get a pyro & boost gauge & turn it up. Mine cranked up will smoke once the converter locks & your lugging it but it will clear up pretty quick. Temps have never touched 900* pre turbo on mine. :D

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not touch it untill you get a pyro. It could save you a bunch of troubles down the road.

turbo_26

Reaction score
question what if your pump is turnned wide open and there is still no smoke a little at first then its gone with a new injection pump and lift pump and new 80hp injectors with a built E40D and the timing is turn back just a little please any info will be greatly thanked

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am just wondering if I can safely turn up the pump around the width of a dime or so on my 94 (truck in sig). It is a factory turbo, and I get absolutely no smoke at anly level of throttle or rpm. I also feel absoltely zero kick from the turbo (I should be able to feel some power difference after the turbo spools, shouldn't I), and this makes me think that I need a little more fuel. I am by no means wanting to "roll coal", just wanting to get a little more umph! I don't have a pyro or boost gauge yet, and I know I should, but they are so expensive! If I turn the pump up too much I know that bad things happen, but wouldn't I visibly see some "black" coming out of the tailpipe before I hurt things? Just thought I would ask, and yes I will be getting a set of gauges fairly quickly (just itchin to fiddle with things today;p) Cole

Get the Pyro and the Boost gauge FIRST. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion. The cost of the guages is nothing compaired to replacing a blow motor. Once you have them........go nuts with the IP and drive buy the Pyro.

question what if your pump is turnned wide open and there is still no smoke a little at first then its gone with a new injection pump and lift pump and new 80hp injectors with a built E40D and the timing is turn back just a little please any info will be greatly thanked

Turbo, You need to get gauges. Who know what is going on with your engine. Pyro and boost at minimum. Buy the way, where or who did you get "80 hp" injectors from for an IDI?

Heath

turbo_26

Reaction score
hesutten i have a friend who knows a person in indy that builds injectors and injection pumps i have a set of guages and the pyro reads about 900 maybe a little over but not enough to hurt nothing and the boost is around 20 to 25 pounds it runs good i know that i would just like to see more smoke the truck runs cool i would just like to know why it not pooring the smoke out like a non turbo 7.3

turbo_26

Reaction score
aww and it hold about 3 to 4 pound on the highway like normal and when you mash on it it runs about 20 to 25 pounds of boost

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I guess I will just get some gauges before I go and melt a piston. In regards to my IP and timing; it is a brand new pump and has around 4k miles on it. The previous owner just had it installed prior to me purchasing it. It was timed dynamically I believe, not just by ear. It has it's timing mark (scribed by the installer) about the width of a dime to the left (towards pass side) of the straight up line that comes on the IP (hope that makes sense). I would guess that this means the installer did bump up the timing a little when he installed it, but I really don't know because I don't own an advance timing light or a ferret (I would buy the ferret but I don't want to spend another chunk of cash for the high tech timing light, the one I have is fairly new and works great for the gas motors I use it on).

What's the most economical way to check my timing, and what exactly should it be on my motor... around 9 btdc or so???

Also, before my post get's hijacked by people questioning the post's about 20+ lbs of boost, let's save those questions for another post or just PM the poster (I don't mean that to sound wrong, but I know how people sometimes react when they see someone post high boost numbers on these IDI's) Thanks guys Cole

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aww and it hold about 3 to 4 pound on the highway like normal and when you mash on it it runs about 20 to 25 pounds of boost

I got yelled at for challenging boost numbers like that, so I'm not going to do it this time. I'll let somebody ELSE do it. :fan:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....the pyro reads about 900 maybe a little over but not enough to hurt nothing and the boost is around 20 to 25 pounds ....

:dunno

What compression ratio are you running? What head studs are you using? What turbo? Just asking, cause that boost seems way off the charts.

Heath

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I would say save the post about boost numbers and start a new thread on it. in regard to the timing the truck should rattle pretty good when cold with the timing advance on idk about the numbers i had a friend help me time mine by ear cause idi is a foreign language to most around here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online