Can I punch 1 hole only?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi de ho folks, Got the news from the machine shop on Fri. In their experience the left bank (oil cooler side) is prone to cavitation.The block needs #7 bored . They will only do the work if they sleeve all the left holes & #7. Any & all comment are requested & appreciated . I want to get things on the move by the end of next week. THX Rick

I'd got with your shop on this. The 7.3 is prone to cavitation as it is, and to punch out a hole at the mileage on your engine would only be flirting with disaster. For the cost of sleeving, you could come up with another engine (6.9's are great!) and "build" it to last. There are several places to buy a longblock and put it in there with all the accessories on etc. I'd call that engine a throwaway and be done with it.

I've got a couple sets of pistons around here though, if you wanted one. I've got some 6.9's in .030 over, and 7.3 stock turbo pistons(7 only).

You got options!!

Zigg :)

SASKR

Reaction score
Thanks to Exekiel & Zigg. I'm @ same place as you. Have you or others any experience with Ford "reman" or IH "renewed" engines.

sassyrel

Reaction score
tell ya what---some of you that have 10,20,30 and stock pistons--put these on the scale---one at a time--and tell me the diff in weight---

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell ya what---some of you that have 10,20,30 and stock pistons--put these on the scale---one at a time--and tell me the diff in weight---

Yup, exactly.

The other thing to think about when you're doing a $4,000 engine, is that it only costs about $250 to have the engine final balanced.

I did this with my 6.9 for my '93, and I feel it was money well spent. That thing just purrs.....

Zigg :)

RedTruck

Reaction score
SASKR,

I bought a rebuilt long block through my local Navistar dealer. I have about 15,000 miles on my engine and have been happy with it. I have great oil pressure. I have a small tick at startup, but it disappears right away. I contribute this to lifters building pressure. I had a leak in the oil cooler within the first year. I brought it to the Navistar dealer that I bought it from and they replaced it for free. It came with a 1 year warranty. If you put a turbo on and they can contribute any problem with the engine to the turbo it won't be covered under the warranty.

When I was looking I compared engines across the board. You can find them on the internet for well under 3000 USD. I paid slightly over 3000. Ford wanted near 4000.

Paul

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Balancing a motor is more important than most think. I have always balanced my motors. On my most recent rebuild I even replaced the cam gear with the newer updated gear. The older gear was out of balance from the get go. So the new gears now have a balance lug cast into them and they don't have the 2 drilled holes in them for the gear puller. I have always had a balance issue in my 7.3 motors. They will shake every 10 seconds for about 2 seconds. Its really hard to feel and very slight but it was in time and always there. I have replaced the E4OD several times along with the flywheel and flex plate but it was still there. This has now been fixed. The shop that did my balance shot told be the pistons needed to be no more than 2 grams differance in each one. I "worked" them down to between 1/3 to 1/2 gram. I have a really neet gram scale I bought off Ebay...:D

SASKR

Reaction score
Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!!. Thanks to Redtruck for the input. The long block from IH (part # 991869C91) is listed as for Ford F series 1993- 1994 only. At 190hp. notation #4 on part # lists it as " Factory-installed OEM turbo" . So I would suspect that there should be no trouble at all with warranty. BTW how did you discover the oil cooler was leaking? Did you remove & reinstall the oil cooler or did the IH dealer do the work? Did they pay for replacing engine oil or antifreeze that was contaminated? Cheers Rick

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes this is identical to your factory turbo IDI motor with all the turbo upgrades we have heard about. I doubt you will have a warranty issue by turbocharging an engine intended for a turbo to begin with. Good luck with that!
JD

RedTruck

Reaction score
SASKR,

I had oil drooling down the side of my oil filter. I traced it back to where the oil cooler meets the block and brought it in. They pulled the oil cooler assembly apart and found that one of the ends of the cooler was bad. They replaced it. I was not charged for the part or the shop time. I was having some other work done at the time, so I don't know if I was charged for anything else.

I would suspect that you would be fine with the turbo 7.3 IDI in terms of warranty coverage and a (any) turbo. I wanted a 6.9 so that wasn't an option for me. I wouldn't think that the cost would be that much different between the two...maybe a few hundered dollars?

Incidentally the long blocks come with new injectors. If you are going to reuse your old ones, maybe you can request that they send the long block with the injectors out of the block. That way you can resell them. I don't know if they will do that or not, but it's worth a shot.

Also I have found that the valley pans from IH are nicer than the Ford ones. They seem stiffer and are packaged better...probaby cheeper as well. Something to think about since you'll need to be getting one.

Good luck! Let us know how it all works out for you.

Paul

sassyrel

Reaction score
zigg--thanks for the rod nuts---------- icanfixall--thats what im going to do to the turbo idi i have to build after using a damn k&n!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: balance--yaaa!! and when did they change the cam gear to a balanced one--or just look for the cast in weight????

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The newer cam gear was installed in the 1990 or 91 on motors but some aftermarket makers still make the older style. What you need to do is look at the gear. If it has 2 drilled and tapped 3/8 threaded holes in it you don't want that one. The new gear has a balance lug on the back side and no drilled holes in it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
ican--thanks--mines a actual 94 turbo ---truck and engine--

SASKR

Reaction score
Redtruck, I assume you had the IH dealer install the engine. I may have some different experiences because I am doing the R&R. That being said, I put the order in for the IH engine today @ lunch. She is in New York. So they figure 7-10 days to get out to " THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE" . Sometimes thing get here faster by dog sled @ the end of Jan. but alas it is Aug. Cheers Rick

RedTruck

Reaction score
Nope, I did all the work myself. I picked up the engine from the dealer. I already had mine out. Let me tell you...we had a blizzard the night I had the core in the back of an F150 of mine. I had a trouble call from one of my customers so I had to get to work. There was no stopping that thing with 1000 lbs of engine in the back. I was pushing snow with the front bumer in 2 wheel drive. :D

On a side note. I sure think it would be fun to use the rebuild recipe that ICANFIXALL has been working on to buildup a new engine. I think when he's done you'd be hard pressed to find a better rebuild.

Again, good luck with your project. Be sure to let us all know how it's going. I'm sure you're going to get a heck of an engine.

Paul