Can I delete cruise control wiring harness?(having issues since i did)

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried searching a few forums but couldn't find anything concrete. Long story short I am taking an intact wiring harness and transplanting it into my truck.

Both models are supposedly 85 and had cruise control. Although now that I think about it the donor truck had some kind of speed control in the turn signal lever, mine has buttons on the steering wheel.

Don't want the cruise, parts were already yanked. Everything was working fine, then I blindly yanked the cruise harness and black box, etc. Figured one less thing to have around.

Now specifically I am having 2 issues.

Key ignition will not even bump the starter.

And fuse for I think horns/cigarette lighter dims lights and sparks and pops in 5 seconds.

I have read cruise models may share something with that horn fuse?

The horns have been physically gone since the beginning, the 2 leads have the connectors which are just hanging and taped up.

The steering wheel has been taped up since the beginning as well, so no clue what lies underneath.

Just wondering if I should be able to delete this leg altogether? Is it possible the wires were changed for different years so the different cruise controls I saw may have different layouts?

Thanks for any info!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both models are supposedly 85 and had cruise control.

This could be a large part of the problem...unknown variables!

Although now that I think about it the donor truck had some kind of speed control in the turn signal lever, mine has buttons on the steering wheel.

Again two different setups, so far things not looking good, sounds to me that the one with the cruise on the signal stock is an aftermarket add on and could create problem when removed...kinda like trying to pull an old alarm and :fan:

Don't want the cruise, parts were already yanked. Everything was working fine, then I blindly yanked the cruise harness and black box, etc. Figured one less thing to have around.

Ya again this is not really a good idea to blindly rip things out...never know what it's connected to until a thorough investigation and then it's maybe safe to remove!

Now specifically I am having 2 issues.

Key ignition will not even bump the starter.

And fuse for I think horns/cigarette lighter dims lights and sparks and pops in 5 seconds.

I have read cruise models may share something with that horn fuse?

The horns have been physically gone since the beginning, the 2 leads have the connectors which are just hanging and taped up.

The steering wheel has been taped up since the beginning as well, so no clue what lies underneath.

Just wondering if I should be able to delete this leg altogether? Is it possible the wires were changed for different years so the different cruise controls I saw may have different layouts?

Thanks for any info!
Not sure about Cruise and Horn fuse, if this was mine, I would pull out both harness' and lay them side by side and compare. ONE switch/plug at a time until you have determined they are the same or different. Also there may be issues with the harness in the column if it was designed for a cruise setup. (DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW):eek: