can i burn ...

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I start and shut down on my mix, I'm not running 50/50 like you though. My preference is W80-W82, it's just slightly thicker than diesel and I've started it in the 20's with no problem. I suspect it'll work down into the teens and probably the single digits, it takes just a little bit longer than regular D2 does. As for the engine thinning the fuel mix, I've also heard that the fuel is warmed in the heads before being sent through the return line back to the tank but I've never seen an actual temp number to know just how much it's being warmed up.

I do know this though; I've changed a fuel filter in cold weather on my IDI and it still felt cold (not ice water cold, but cold) on my hands and not warm at all. Maybe the PSD's are different but the IDI's don't make a measurable difference on the "ungloved hand" test.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
its the powerstokes that run the fuel through the head not our IDI engines. heating the oil does help a bunch in burning some thicker mixes. for ideas on that check out the veggie guys, myself i have a plate heat exchanger under the hood that i used to run, i should hook that back up........my biggest problem has been pumping the thicker mix through my lines.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I didn't make the distinction in my last post that I'm running a PSD. My primary truck is an '01 Excursion PSD and my secondary is a 7.3IDI. I haven't seen a measured difference on either but I suppose I could pull the pressure gauge and stick a temp gauge in it's place on the Excursion and be able to tell.

Too bad there isn't a floating bluetooth temp gauge that we could just toss into the tank....

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know our engines don't warm the fuel through the heads. I believe what people were saying is that the IP gets warm and the fuel sits in it long enough before getting injected that it warms it a bit. That still wouldn't help the lift pump any.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant to post up a couple days ago but I realized that my Excursion has a heating element inside the fuel bowl. I don't know what that raises the temp of the fuel up to but I haven't had any problems with vapor lock.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to.pick up the oil last night. On my way there he called me to let me know that his 100 gallons had apparently leaked out of the tank, leaving just a few inches in the bottom. He said he did have some 5 gallon buckets full so I headed over anyway. I ended up getting about 17 gallons. When I got home I ran the viscosity test and was amazed that it drained in just 40 seconds. My pure wmo had taken 60 seconds on my earlier test so I ran it again to verify. It is colder put now than when I first tested it, and it now takes 90 seconds to drain. So the oil I picked up drains 50 seconds faster than my pure wmo! ! It must be because of the hydraulic fluid in it.
I sure wish he had 100 gallons of this stuff!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Is "Heating Oil " something we can burn?

Heating oil is basically dyed diesel because there is no road tax on it. It will burn just fine but is only supposed to be used on off road only vehicles. If you were to get your tanks dipped pucker up for thousands in fines.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some oil the other night. I got a drum of hydraulic oil and it's a lot thicker than anything I've seen. I'd have to say it was almost gear oil viscosity. My pump was pumping a lot slower with it. Curious as to how it's gonna burn altho I'll be mixing it in with a few hundred gallons of WMO and stale gas.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, what about cutting oil? I was offered a decent amount tonight but I wasn't sure if it's something we can burn.

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that I used to work in a tool and dye shop, I would not use cutting oil unless you know for sure what it has touched. I see cutting oil and I think metal shavings....

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, what about cutting oil? I was offered a decent amount tonight but I wasn't sure if it's something we can burn.

I've run it before with success and I'd run it again, my preference has always been the red/amber colored oils since it seems like they smoke less.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it has shavings all over in it, but wouldn't the centrifuge take care of that?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The centrifuge would take care of it but the pump feeding the centrifuge would hate it since the filings would chew up the gears. Before centrifuging, drain off the majority of the filings (if you can) and wait long enough so that the metal has settled on the bottom of your tank.

Or to be worry free, put a strainer on your suction pipe and then you don't have to worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online