can i burn ...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the guy with the cutting oil again today. Apparently he has 9 55gallon barrels for me :D

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Googled cutting fluid and cutting oil so that I can verify it is cutting OIL when I pick it up. It looks like the oil is a typical honey color and fluid would be pretty obvious.

This stuff looks thin, did you even have to cut yours when you ran it?

Also, how do you tell if it has coolant additives in it? I tried to read up on cutting oil but it looks like the majority of them have all sorts of additives in them.

Last edited:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This stuff looks thin, did you even have to cut yours when you ran it?

I try and add RUG to everything, I've found that it's abilities to make dirt and sludge drop out are unmatched. Even if it's just 10%, I still like to add some in there. I doubt it'll be too thin (our regular oil will never flow faster than diesel) but the viscosity test will tell you for sure. If nothing else, mix it in with your other sources of oil and you'll be good to go.

On a side note, I'm envious of your hauls, that's just AWESOME that you have almost 500 gallons lined up!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ! I am paying 25¢ / gallon for it so it isn't exactly free, but it still saves me a lot of money. I'll gladly pay $125 for $2,000 worth of fuel :D .

They are even going to use their pump so I just have to bring something to put it in :)

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely test that stuff first. I was going to grab some before until I was told it was water based.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy test I can do on site or would I have to send it out?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy test I can do on site or would I have to send it out?

My guess is that with that much oil, they have a known supplier and can either tell you the name it OR have some material data sheets on hand. These sheets will tell you everything about the oil to include what it's based from, the harmful contents inside, etc. I'm almost positive they'll have one or the other and then all you have to do is Google it to see if it's any good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online