Cam replacement?

Ian Schilf

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I looked on some forum about a cam for these old 6.9/7.3 IDI and I have tried contacting the person but I can not get the message to go thru. It was a "logger" cam for when the loggers would run these old pickups in the hills.

I am looking at keeping my 83 NA but I would not mind a bit more power for when I am out in the hills during hunting season and if I need to tow my 20' flatbed with some weight.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, and how to reach the person?

Thank you much,

Ian Schilf

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ type4 on here sells a torque cam.
R&D sells another grind

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a cam from Russrepair. He was pretty good to deal with. Haven't installed the cam yet, but everyone speaks highly of it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be aware - the cam will help down low, but you aren't going to get more HP up high - You just plain aren't getting any more air into the motor.
*nothing* else you can do will come even close to a basic kit turbo. Plain and simple. Add more air and fuel and you get more power. These motors are pushed to basically the limit of N/A operation.

Everything I tow with these days has a turbo. Plain and simple. It makes a night and day difference, above about 20 MPH or ~1800 RPM

Also, not to scare you, but if you do a cam, you really need to pull the heads and verify valve recession clearance, ESPECIALLY if the valves/heads have been redone. The clearances are really tight(like the valves and pistons following each other within .030"), and if you are too tight, you'll end up with valves hitting pistons and, more than likely, destroying your valve guides very quickly. You may not notice anything wrong until that happens, if it's only a slight interference.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has the Typ4 cam and I like it. It's not an earth-shattering difference but it makes a difference. I can't say it hurts at the high end either. I have an older Moose pump, so I'm limited to 3000 RPM anyway. And with the gearing I run, I don't need high RPM.

I already had the piston shaved down when the engine was rebuilt and I installed new lifters at the time of the cam swap just to be on the safe side. No issues after running it for a few years.