C6 to ZF5 swap. really.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed height was close enough that I didn't worry about it, drivable was just as it should be, it did have some rollover noise at idle with the clutch pedal up and a little rollover noise at low rpms (under 1000-1200 rpms) when moving slowly in gear. I used 30w oil in the tranny to quite it a little.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Got my pedal assy today. $6. God I love salvage yards! I also picked up a transmission tunnel cover from a '90 f250 with a gas zf5. Where will my transfer case shifter come into the cab, next to the tunnel or in it?

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the 1345 and the 1365 t-cases use the same bolt pattern and mounting configuration. I am unsure if the output shaft on the transmission and the input shaft on the 1345 will be compatible, but I believe they are the same, too.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your transfer case will bolt right up to the ZF5 and the lever should be about the same place it was before in the tunnel but I'm unsure if the lever bracket bolts to the C6 the same as the T-19. If it does it will bolt straight to the side of the ZF5.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I did this swap almost a year ago. mine is a crew cab and I did'nt have to change anything but the trans, clutch & flywheel, and the pedals. reused the drive shafts, t-case, crossmember and bolts. been working great so far.

punk

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Punk... where did the t-case shifter poke through? Did you have to cut a hole in the cover plate? The one I picked up today only has 1 hole, for the transmission shifter.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Speaking of gear-shifting. . . . does anyone have an "extra" gear shift lever? My trans came w/out one. Didn't come across any today at the salvage yard. PM me if you have one to sell. thanx

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have the shifter if you need it. as for the t -case shifter I got a little tricky. I didnt want to cut a hole in the floor pan so I reused the linkage from the c6 and modified it to bolt onto the zf. now my t-case shifter comes through the removable transtunnel cover. It isnt that hard and seems to work alright, Im having an issue with 4 low at the moment due to the linkage is missing the plastic bushing that goes into the fork on the case arm.

pm me if you have any other questions.

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4WD T-19 and ZF-5 are the same I believe as far as the transfer case mate up is concerned.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
finally got my mounting nut patch installed. The 1/8" strap across the bottom is JB Welded to the housing, I have 3 machine screws with lock nuts on 2 planes of the housing, and as you can see the strap is bolted to both the remaining boss and the angle-iron patch that is also JB Welded to the housing. I hope it will work. Let me know what you guys think. :dunno I'd hate to have the trans bust out of the mount while in the middle of BFE Nevada. Would it be necessary to put a strap over the top of the trans? Thanx

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php