c6 to t-19 questions

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i know another manual thread but bare with me as the last t-19 conversion thread was in 2010 and didn't answer all my questions

just scored 2 parts truck for 600$ going to pick up Tuesday both bullnose 6.9's and they are both t-19's to swap in my 2wd 86 6.9

yea ik its not a zf5 spare me the talk i like the originality aspect aswell as just rippin a 4 speed

anyways ive done a front main on the c6 and a clutch on a zf5 so I'm very familiar with those 2 trans and the process of removal and installation

1.cross member, will i need to drill new holes in the frame to fit the t-19 cross member ?

2.does the slave cylinder just clip into he bellhousing like the zf5 does?

3.where/ how do ik where t drill the firewall for the clutch master? and what size hole saw do i need?

4. can cruse work with the t-19? i read the 4 speeds don't have it? also will my old speedo cable work?

5. juts like diffs everybody says a different gear oil to use so which should i use? it gets about -10 in the winter and 105 in the summer where i live

thank you for reading any advice or answers are appreciated

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can't answer all of the above, but I'll give it a go.
2. Yes.
3. When I did the 6.9/ZF5 swap in my Bronco, I measured 5 or 6 times carefully and then drilled. It wasn't 100% perfect, but it was at least 97% there and it worked good enough for me. I think that if you buy a firewall reinforcement plate from Bronco Graveyard, it should give you an idea where to make your holes.
5. I'll bet that if you use a synthetic fluid, you should be good enough as long as it's for your T-19 and not a ZF5.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, do I **need** a fire wall reinforcement? Or can it wait until I verify I did it right? And what size hole did you make in the firewall?

Is there a template I could print out and use it for a guide?

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your parts trucks have the T-19 trans, just measure and copy over to your patient.
Most of your questions should be right there in the parts trucks....unless I missed something.

Cruise Control don`t have it in my 86.
Now my 85 has it and has the T-19...but I haven`t driven the thing since I bought it a few years back.

I installed the FW reinforcement plate when the clutch was replaced about 4 years ago, but the truck was 30 yrs old. Did
it just for preventative insurance. FW`s are thin and will flex and eventually crack. Your truck never have had a clutch, you should be good for a while. But going through the work would be a good time to do the install.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The reinforcement plate is shaped so that it can only be bolted on in one spot from what I remember. If I'm wrong, you could make a cardboard template to use as a pattern Just make it off of the donor trucks and transfer it to your current one. The whole thing about T-19 trucks not have cruise control is false. Both of my 1985s had T-19s and both also has cruise.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My T19 has cruise.

Also I tend to be opinionated but I would use yellow metal safe sta lube 80-90 GL4 gear oil. I have been running it for years in all manner of “classic” manual and it is absolutely minty stuff.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you all for the help! any body know the size of the hole that need to be drilled just incase i have to order a size?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also is there a fix to a bullnose tilt column that dont stay in a position?

also will i have to remove the top cover to install due to the shifter?

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they were over torque or thread stretched whoever put them in before you, you need new. Generally it’s worth replacing but if you are time crunched and the threads look fine and all evenly spaced, don’t forget they need loctite 577 or equiv. Don’t accidentally use the wrong red either or you’ll have the torch out next time they come off.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a few transmission swaps in these trucks. The firewall should have dimples where you drill the 2 master cylinder mounting bolt holes and use the hole saw all the bullnose trucks I've done have had the dimples. We put a t19 inplace of the c6 in my buddys 85 6.9 crossmember didn't need drilling, tcase bolted up as they all do, if your floor doesn't have the pan you'll need to cut out the floor (I put a 2wd c6 cab on my 4x4 frame had to cut floor out and screw a manual 4x4 tunnel pan on) the cruise control should still work no reason it shouldn't just put your speedometer cable back in the tcase, my 83 6.9 t19 had cruise never worked but it was all factory equipment. You'll need to jump a couple wires together under the truck to bypass the neutral saftey switch for the c6 and if you want the clutch saftey switch to work their will be a couple wires factory jumped under the dash the ones that go to the switch in the manual truck you'll see them or you can leave them factory jumped. When I did my body swap I left my manual trans frame harness with the frame so the neutral saftey switch was already factory jumped on my frame harness. Any more questions feel free. 80w90 is just fine for year round in a t19 and yes the slave cylinder just clips too the bellhousing

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a few transmission swaps in these trucks. The firewall should have dimples where you drill the 2 master cylinder mounting bolt holes and use the hole saw all the bullnose trucks I've done have had the dimples. We put a t19 inplace of the c6 in my buddys 85 6.9 crossmember didn't need drilling, tcase bolted up as they all do, if your floor doesn't have the pan you'll need to cut out the floor (I put a 2wd c6 cab on my 4x4 frame had to cut floor out and screw a manual 4x4 tunnel pan on) the cruise control should still work no reason it shouldn't just put your speedometer cable back in the tcase, my 83 6.9 t19 had cruise never worked but it was all factory equipment. You'll need to jump a couple wires together under the truck to bypass the neutral saftey switch for the c6 and if you want the clutch saftey switch to work their will be a couple wires factory jumped under the dash the ones that go to the switch in the manual truck you'll see them or you can leave them factory jumped. When I did my body swap I left my manual trans frame harness with the frame so the neutral saftey switch was already factory jumped on my frame harness. Any more questions feel free. 80w90 is just fine for year round in a t19 and yes the slave cylinder just clips too the bellhousing
Thank you! You got home on all my questions

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is 557 Just blue? Or is that the green stuff I saw on another idi?
It’s red but not the red heat remove only you see in the store. I had a set recently that didn’t come with any on the bolts and I used blue but I can’t tell you real world results since I didn’t drive it yet. It should be fine tho, it’s suppose to be “medium strength”