Bwise or not!

Bwise

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new here... First Post.

Up until a few months ago I was a proud owner of a Jeep Wrangler and very happy with it. There were only a few things I didn't like about it and those things were what prompted me to sell it.

1 - so small I felt unsafe driving it
2 - 4 kids and my wife didn't fit in it I had added an extra lap belt in the back so I could get 3 kids in and my wife but when our last child was born 11 months ago, I started looking for something for the whole family could fit in

I sold my Jeep, and bought my truck

1993 f-350 Crew Cab 7.3 IDI 160k miles

My first problem was, Well... finding a place to park it :)

I guess, as owning any vehicle that is that old, you inherit the problems along with the good stuff.

Problems:
I don't know much about Deisel's (but I had heard that the old IDI's would run for ever if they were treated right)

we had a cold snap this last winter almost 2 weeks of 20 below 0 and I forgot to plug it in one morning. I tried to start it, let the glow plugs heat up, no start. then did it again, no start. then did it again, no start. then once more, no start, and no more good glow plugs left.
While changing out the last glow plug I leaned my arm on one of the plastic peices ( injecter cap I came to find out), of course I didn't get the replacement o rings when I bought the cap, so I had a fuel and air leak arround it.

Just recently I was having a problem with stalls then no start, when I finaly got it started it sputtered a bit, ran great for a while then stall again after just a few min. It felt lika a fuel delivery problem, like I had air in the fuel lines but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, I then thought it might be a fule pump, bad gas or something like that, I changed out the fuel filter tightened up this and that checked out hoses for kinks, and the rubber ones for cracks. It ended up that I had let the rear tank get to empty even though the front tank was full. and I was sucking air from the back tank. At least that is what I think it was.

I found a couple of posts here that talked about tracking down air leaks and that was one of the suggestions someone made asking if both tanks were full, anyway... I filled up a jerry can and put about 4 gal in the back tank tonight and no more problems. Thank YOU!

The engine looks to be remanufactured, I say that because it is all painted grey, fuel lines, injectors, the whole top end.

I hope this truck lasts me 10 more years, even with the issues I have had with it I realy like it.

If anyone has any low cost improvements I would appreciate the pointers.

the only improvements it has that I can see is a 4gang box was mounted inside the engine compartment where a trickel charger, oil and block heater for cold weather. it has factory everything else it looks.

LittleBlue

Reaction score
Welcome Bwise,

Late congats on the two add to the family ;Sweet . I am new to the IDI board myself, suggest if you haven't checked out the IDI tech articles you need to do so. Don't forget to read up on The Expensive Death AKA CSA, Agnem and the folks on the board are great and quick to help out. They have spent a lot of personal time researching, writing and posting to help out us newbie’s. I see you'll up on glow plugs now. Living in AK you'll sure need them, I purchased an IDI with a caviated block myself what a PITA-cuss . Take care watch out for them snow snakes :rotflmao Sorry could resist.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome to the board.

It sounds like your engine is the original engine because of the way it's painted - all gray is how they came from the factory. It's the replacement engines that are black or whatever color you paint them - Aric "Yaric" painted his engine multi-colored to highlight different systems (fuel, cooling, oil, etc)...

Sounds like you might have a fuel selector valve that is not switching fully if it still wants to pull fuel from the rear tank even though the switch is on the front tank. It's located on the frame rail right in front of the front tank - it's actually a motor not a solenoid. I used to run The Enterprise out of fuel on one tank before switching (no it's not good on them but sometimes I would forget to switch in enough time).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to have you here! Your story is typical of what we sometimes hear from new owners. Glad the info here was enough to help you overcome all those initial problems. Let us know if you have any unanswered questions. ;Sweet

Bwise

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

it has to be the fuel selector valve, after driving it for a few miles it started acting up again. so I switched to the back tank to find it empty, I pulled into the first station I found and filled up the back tank, but not the front tank, I headed off down the road and noticed that my front tank filled up, while the back tank leveled off to what the front tank was. I think since the back tank sits higher than the front tank the back tank just siphoned into the front tank.

Its running fine now I just need to figure out how to swap out that fuel selector valve, and where the best place is to buy the part. Does anyone know if it can be done without draining the tank?

Last edited:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can definitely be done without draining the tanks... but as with any fuel line disconnection, things can get messy!

Don't listen to the guys around here, they're full of hot air......

...haha, I can't even BS myself. You found the right board on the web to learn something about these trucks!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Nick (double-s-diesel) has a tank selector valve for sale brand new from ford for less than the dealer, check the marketplace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.